Sign in to follow this  
Carrie

Absolute Newbie in England

Hello all, I joined a few days ago and have been enjoying looking through some of the topics. I've never done any leatherwork, but I fancy having a go at making a couple of collars for my dogs. I want to make them from a nice soft leather, lined with suede and with brass fittings. Next the practicalities, any books it's best to pick up? Suppliers in England? How best to go about this?

Hello all, I joined a few days ago and have been enjoying looking through some of the topics. I've never done any leatherwork, but I fancy having a go at making a couple of collars for my dogs. I want to make them from a nice soft leather, lined with suede and with brass fittings. Next the practicalities, any books it's best to pick up? Suppliers in England? How best to go about this?

Welcome, ok suppliers first

Le Prevo

Tandy uk

Will do for know they are who i use, le prevo first as tandy can be a little expensive and you gotta have a credit card, I have some leather collar blanks if you want a couple for a starter, if you do you can pm me. I was given them by my mentor who has imposed on me the curious affliction of wanting to help others. You will need to buy the furniture/hardware. I would recommend looking up saddle stitch in the forum or on the net. The collar blanks are however nearly together, just need stitching. If you want sude backing you will have to sort that yourself as I have run out for the moment.

IMHO You will need a stitch groover, an awl, some waxed thread, a ruler (to space the stitching) or a stitching wheel, two saddlers needles, some contact adhesive.

Anything I've forgotton folks?

Hi Carrie,

Pip is giving you a big head start here. Bite his hand off! :lol:

LePrevo is a great supplier and they're really friendly and helpful. They have a wide range of good hardware.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

And, here's the page where you can download their current catalog and special offers: http://www.leprevo.co.uk/catalogue.html

Cheers,

Karl

Hi Carrie, I'm a newbie here too :) I use The Identity Store http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/. They now take Paypal as well as credit cards and are based in Matlock although their Northampton store should be reopening this summer.

Edited by Raven

Welcome to the forum, Carrie, one of the friendliest and most useful resources on the Internet!

I've no doubt others will chip in with booklists, but in the meantime there's a set of tutorials at http://www.bowstock.co.uk/tutorials.html which you may find useful. The search facility here on the forum will usually come up with information on a particular topic - just type in a keyword.

Enjoy your time here!

Best wishes

Terry

Hi carrie, welcome to the forum. If you're going to be doing a lot of sewing then Al Stohlman's book "art of hand sewing leather" would be a good investment, tandy uk or the identity store are selling it cheap(ish). You'll need a good sharp knife (a stanley knife will do to start), a steel rule and a cutting board.

Use the forum search for info on dog collars, then check this section. Read the disclaimer on the main page.

If that doesn't put you off I've got some bits of suede you can have.

Welcome!

:welcome:

Welcome!

:welcome:

Carrie,

I have some spare leather and some spare hardware suitable for collars. Drop me a PM if you're interested. If you just need a couple of needles, some thread and a bit of beeswax, I can supply that also - I think I may have a spare awl as well, somewere.

Valerie Michael's book is a very good starter.

I have a list of suppliers if you're interested and some useful handouts from a saddler's course I undertook, as well.

Gary

Hi all, thanks for the welcomes and the offers of help (I'm overwhelmed and would feel terrible guilty if I took anyone up on their very kind offers). I'd already been looking on the Bowstock website, but hadn't come across the Leprevo one, looks like their buckles and D-rings are just what I was looking for.

I didn't realise you could get collar blanks, had a browse and spotted them on the Tandy site. Only 1" ones and I was looking to do matching collars for the dogs and also something softer / thinner. I'll start out with the 1" one and then move on to trying a hound collar. In my mind I know exactly what I want to achieve, whether I'll get there is another question. I was hoping that a thin leather could be hemmed. If not, how to finish off the edges, not managed to find info on that yet.

In terms of contact adhesive, any preferred brands? As in do some retain more flexibility. Saw one on the tandy website specified as waterproof, but is that really so important once things are stitched?

I'm now wondering what leatherworking tools my uncle might still have. He worked with the army horses in the fifties, but sadly is in such poor health now that he wouldn't be able to help me in any practical way.

Hi and welcome to a great forum. If its suede you want ive got red, lilac and sandy colours if there any good to you. Don't feel guilty just ask and well help as much as we can, some one once helped us.