So I tooled a belt for a friend and instead of using a dye I just antiqued the entire piece, wiped off the excess, buffed with a soft rag and let it dry over night. When I applied Fiebing's leather sheen to the piece it lifted the pigments and streaked. The piece will now have to be remade. What finish should I have used?

this belt is antique medium brown, finished with bick 4 from springfield leather. this stuff works good for me after applying antique stain let belt set up over night than apply the bick 4 , let it dry and rub off. Belts that I have made over a year still look good. I use other stuff but this is easy and hold ups well.

post-38874-0-44520000-1416365885_thumb.j

How did you apply the Leather Sheen? It should always be applied with a damp sponge and not rubbed into the leather, just lightly drag the sponge across the leather and make sure that you are applying it as evenly as possible. However, you might find better success with Resolene and mix it with water to a true 50/50 blend.

...wiped off the excess, buffed with a soft rag and let it dry over night.

It takes more than 'wiping' off the excess...you should be using shearling and lightly scrubbing to get rid of all the excess that CAN be removed.