Sign in to follow this  
Johanna

setting up a store?

http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/index.p...findpost&p=7403

The technical aspects of setting up a store would be fairly simple, but is there enough interest to make it worthwhile? Would it benefit anyone to have an additional gateway to sell merchandise? How would we handle sales, bookkeeping, inventory, shipping? Throw some ideas out, or tell us why this won't work...let's talk about it.

Johanna

:whatdoyouthink:

"handle sales, bookkeeping, inventory, shipping?" Johanna, you pretty much hit the issues. Only way that I can imagine something like this working is to have a common leather store with a display case for each seller. Customers would have central entry but must understand that each display case shows the work of an independant artisan. Customization, delivery time, and payment must be between buyer and seller.

Just my 2c

Regis

http://www.leatherworker.net/forum/index.p...findpost&p=7403

The technical aspects of setting up a store would be fairly simple, but is there enough interest to make it worthwhile? Would it benefit anyone to have an additional gateway to sell merchandise? How would we handle sales, bookkeeping, inventory, shipping? Throw some ideas out, or tell us why this won't work...let's talk about it.

Johanna

:whatdoyouthink:

More gateways for moving merchandise are a good thing. The mechanics of setting something up can get awkward.

Something that displayed lots of merchandise and linked a potential customer directly to the maker might be fairly straightforward and minimize the accounting and such. OTOH, it would raise the customer's threshhold if they couldn't just put it in their shopping cart and go.

I haven't made the step to a web presence yet, and really don't know enough about how this kind of thing can be done to make much in the way of suggestions...

What regis says is as close to what you would need to do.... main store page would be a display of all the artists, with a discription of each ones specialty. you click on the aritst and are taken to a page that is set up like all the others but features only that one artists work, and the shopping cart would be set up specifically for that artist.... customer places an order for artist xyz and through the shopping cart system the artist is notified that they have money waiting in thier paypal account or other, and the customers info and the item ordered and special instructions via email.

Thing is thought, each artist would have to have completely different stuff than everyone else... or the artist listed at the top is going to unfairly get more orders than the artist listed at the bottom, and everyone would have to charge the same thing.... or the artist charging less for the item is going to get more sales.....

Then you have quality.... you know xyz makes googoo much better than I make it.... but if it is put on there that xyz makes googoo better then that will take sales from me to.... not just for the googoo... but other things as well... and it just isnt nice to have a group of people together and lable them as who is better at this and that....

Just the devils advocate here....

I have been giving this some thought and with the amount of visitors hitting this site it seems to me that while we have them here we could and should give them some options so they can purchase the item or items they are looking for. I went on a search of online art galleries and not all of the prices were the same for each artist and it was left up to the buyer to decide who's print or original they want to purchase. The site could be set up based on merchandide rather than Artist. If a visitor is looking for a set of saddle bags then there could be a page of saddle bags that are avalable and contact informatiom for custom tooling or add ons. We have some of the very best leather workers in the world right here and when a potenal customer or client stops in why not take advantage of the situation.

If you pull up pack boots on Cabelas website they aren't all priced the same and for a good reason. Not all of us can afford the best packboots made but we want and need a good reliable pair so we get the best pair we can for what we can spend. Not everyone can afford to buy one of my fully tooled Bookcovers laced with roo but they may still want and need one .They look at whats avalable and decide on a machine stitched bookcover with a basket weave on it. That doesn't bother me nor should it bother anyone else.

It seems to me that when we as a group have our customers right where we want them we should cash in and I'm sure it would be a learning experiance for alot of us. Just my two cents worth.

Dan

What has come to my mind, is if we had a section such as the "Show Off" section, but called "For Sale", we could post what we have for sale along with pictures and descriptions.

I'm not sure exactly, but I do believe we could also include the PayPAl button such as the one that Johanna has on her thread replies that is linked to our own PayPal accounts.

This way when people are wandering through the site, reading all the posts and seeing all the "World Class" work that is available here, they may and most likely will see something that catches thier eye, and on impulse, click that PayPal button.

I know myself, I am a sucker for impulse buying. If I'm in a store and see something that really catches my eye...I buy it.

I would imagine that a lot of people that stop by this site and look at all the fantastic work that we show each other, wonder whether or not they can purchase something. I have also noticed that a lot of the members on here are just a bit shy about listing what it is they do in the "Leatherwork Specialty" section of thier Bio, and also listing thier website, should they have one, and also thier location as to city and state/province. This would give them the added ability of making contact with you to actually come see your work in person.

I myself have a few vests that were made for customers, that for one reason or another when it came time to pay, decided that they didn't want to spend the money, that I would like to list for sale on just more than my website.

Where, here on this forum, they could see pictures and descriptions of what it is they would be buying, and also have the ability to research the artist that created it. By doing a search on say "Beaverslayer" they would get to look at all the other projects I have posted and be able to see what kind of work I do, and such.

A bit long winded here for 2 cents...so I'll throw in a nickle...lol

Sorry, but this just came to me after I finished typing...If Johanna does set something up such as this or some other sales section, I would think that a percentage of each sale should be payed to Leatherworker.net as a commision for providing the service....just another 1 cent's worth.

Ken

Edited by Beaverslayer

It would have to avoid looking like "e-leatherbay". I would think that all items would need to be 100% made by presenter himself/herself. If 10 leatherworkrs participated, there would probably never be a problem. But, if 100 or 500 particpated, there would inevitably be complaints and other problems (e.g. someone getting in that makes some items and imports some poorer quality items or parts).

In past life, I've participated in some juried shows and galleries. That seems to work well as long as jurried catagories are fairly narrow and not broad (e.g. carved bags, holsters, embossed pictures, saddles, etc and NOT handcrafted leatherwork). That would specialize folks in one or 2 areas that they are particularly good in and enjoy. Most would probably do that anyway. Newer folks could get jurried in one area such as knife sheath or wallet. Long experienced folks would likely specialize somewhat even though they could technically make anything. Can't imagine a newer person taking order for a saddle because they have made one in a closely supervised class.

Well, I guess that is more than 2 cents,,,,maybe 4 or 5 cents [lol]

Regis

Edited by Regis

The issue of juried merchandise raises a whole series of questions - who does the jurying, how many artists in a given category, how is the jurying done, how long does it take, how often is it done.

Essentially, jurying raises the threshhold of effort for the project to a point where I don't know that it would make sense. As a beginning "marketplace" we don't know if there would be enough business to keep those who first arrived busy enough to stick around, much less attracting large numbers of additional participants.

Down the road, if it turns out to be an enormous success, then working in a jury program might be a good thing. Starting out, I think a statement to the effect that the works for sale are the product of the individual artists and an agreement from all participating artists that they will only show their own work on the site would be sufficient for that particular issue.

I like the idea of "categorized thumbs" where holsters would be grouped here, sheaths there, cycle seats, albums, bags, cases, etc. and when you clicked on one that was interesting you would get the artist and detail info along with the shopping cart. I think that eliminates the concern that could come from grouping by artist, where the first name up would have an advantage and the bottom of the scroll down would have a serious disadvantage.

OH this could be dangerous when money is in play friendship stops, if the prices are listed along with the item, preices will be droped to be competative and the market will be ruined, one way to do it is pictures which are linked to the sellers email and preices could be delt with without the www knowing, that way we as leatherworkers dont stop bieing friends and a little buisness might come your way, its hard to explain what i mean so i hope you all get the jest of what im trying to say, Don

I could set up an area that people could browse for leather goods and makers, and categorize it by item, area, name, or whatever, put a search function in, load it with thumbnails of examples, contact info and anything else you folks think would be useful. That kind of tech stuff is easy. I've actually been working on this type of Member Gallery in my spare (ha ha!) time. I have 50 or so members on that list who want to participate.

I would prefer to point the potential customer to the maker's own website where the arrangements for custom work or a purchase can be made directly between the customer and the seller.

One problem: not everyone who wants leather work has a website. An online portfolio may not make you rich, but it can sure be handy, letting your customers see your work and understand your policies at their convenience, and yours. If you are serious about paying bills with leather, and you don't already have a full waiting list, you may want to consider adding a website to your marketing plan.

There is no way I want us to get into jurying work, ever. Visitors (customers) can judge someone's leather credibility by their websites, posts, pictures and the respect accorded by their peers. Beaverslayer's idea of a "Buy Now" area with PayPal buttons and regularly rotating merchandise might have merit though. Let's talk about that idea some more, especially the folks who do not have websites. I wholeheartedly agree with Regis, though, we don't want an e-leatherbay!

Johanna

Beaverslayer wrote: I would imagine that a lot of people that stop by this site and look at all the fantastic work that we show each other, wonder whether or not they can purchase something. I have also noticed that a lot of the members on here are just a bit shy about listing what it is they do in the "Leatherwork Specialty" section of thier Bio, and also listing thier website, should they have one, and also their location as to city and state/province. This would give them the added ability of making contact with you to actually come see your work in person.

:thankyou:

well said!

i thought about this some when i first saw it posted. i would think a directory would be the way to go. if you wanted it expended with examples and bio stuff that would be cool. i don't think i would ever have anything to sell in a store. i have no time for samples even.

I really like that directory with examples idea. That promotes artisan sales and keeps helpful communication as the primary purpose of leatherworker.net. Most sales or retail sites do a little info/education in support of sales but, not as their primary purpose.

sign me up coach!

Regis

Okay, we'll do it. I just need to figure out some details. In 24 days i will be able to have complete thoughts without interruption again, and I seriously hopes that helps. LOL

Johanna

I would also be interested in participating in this online gallery/store, whatever it evolves into. I like the thinking on this idea so far.

Just to add some thoughts I've had: It would be nice to have theme or style sections. Anyone who makes an item that fits a certain style or theme can list in that section, as well as having an individual gallery.

Right now I'm making only my briefcase, perhaps three versions of it. I have ideas for a tote bag, and a more feminine briefcase/satchel. I'm not sure how I would describe the style I'm shooting for: simple western, rugged, journeyman, maverick, trekker, traveller, elegant simplicity, pared down form for function....

I know that some nice additions to this style would be wallets, backpack, playing card holders, business card holders, journals, notebooks, pocketbooks, change holders, keyrings .....

I'm mostly influenced by Ghurkka and Mullholland Brothers, and they both have a full range of accessories.

Ed

I could set up an area that people could browse for leather goods and makers, and categorize it by item, area, name, or whatever, put a search function in, load it with thumbnails of examples, contact info and anything else you folks think would be useful. That kind of tech stuff is easy. I've actually been working on this type of Member Gallery in my spare (ha ha!) time. I have 50 or so members on that list who want to participate.

I would prefer to point the potential customer to the maker's own website where the arrangements for custom work or a purchase can be made directly between the customer and the seller.

One problem: not everyone who wants leather work has a website. An online portfolio may not make you rich, but it can sure be handy, letting your customers see your work and understand your policies at their convenience, and yours. If you are serious about paying bills with leather, and you don't already have a full waiting list, you may want to consider adding a website to your marketing plan.

There is no way I want us to get into jurying work, ever. Visitors (customers) can judge someone's leather credibility by their websites, posts, pictures and the respect accorded by their peers. Beaverslayer's idea of a "Buy Now" area with PayPal buttons and regularly rotating merchandise might have merit though. Let's talk about that idea some more, especially the folks who do not have websites. I wholeheartedly agree with Regis, though, we don't want an e-leatherbay!

Johanna

Beaverslayer wrote: I would imagine that a lot of people that stop by this site and look at all the fantastic work that we show each other, wonder whether or not they can purchase something. I have also noticed that a lot of the members on here are just a bit shy about listing what it is they do in the "Leatherwork Specialty" section of thier Bio, and also listing thier website, should they have one, and also their location as to city and state/province. This would give them the added ability of making contact with you to actually come see your work in person.

:thankyou:

well said!

OH this could be dangerous when money is in play friendship stops, if the prices are listed along with the item, preices will be droped to be competative and the market will be ruined, one way to do it is pictures which are linked to the sellers email and preices could be delt with without the www knowing, that way we as leatherworkers dont stop bieing friends and a little buisness might come your way, its hard to explain what i mean so i hope you all get the jest of what im trying to say, Don

Ok here I am, a Not Leather Worker chiming in......

A lot of pricing on an item (remember I used to sell dollhouse minis at shows) IS competative

One thing that I can see wrong with linking to the sellers e-mail to ask how much something is .... How many e-mails do you want to answer each day from people who are " just looking" and really have no intention of buying?

Each person has to decide what THEIR time and skill is worth and no one can set it for you.

My skill level might not be as high as someone else's, therefore my price might be lower. (Or, I got a really great deal on materials and am passing that off to the costomer)

but as Grandma used to say "Quality will out"

another thing that you should make known is that the item pictured is the ACTUAL item for sale and when it sells that picture should be taken down, or marked sold.

I think this would be a great idea,count me in when you complete details.

a page just of leatherworkers making items for sale would seem pretty good to me. each leatherworker post some example pictures with a blurb about the work they do and a link to their page. i personally would prefer people to go to my web site rather than having them buy from this site. by coming directly to my site i can present my work in the light i think best. i understand that some people don't have sites, but there are places that will host for free and really no reason not to have one. just my 2 cents...

You can count me in as well.

Cora

Nope, leatherworker.net isn't going to have a store. But I would like visitors to browse to quickly find the eleven guys who could make their dream item, visit their websites and make their own arrangements. I would love to find some software that allows people to do their own content (like a myspace page) to invite people to their websites. I don't want leatherworker.net to be responsible for bookkeeping, inventory, shipping, taxes, insurance et. al. but I do recognize the site's potential ability to direct sales. I am hoping that the ability to search a database of leatherworkers by specialties helps in the education of leatherworking newbies as well as providing extra prestige and sales to all the hardworking leatherworker participants. If they would reciprocate with a link on their site to leatherworker.net, it would be good for us all in the search engines, too.

If anyone hasn't already sent me a site banner and some pics, send me that, and permission to use it, to: profiles@leatherworker.net

so that your site gets included in the update. I currently only have 140 or so on the list, so if you're not sure, send me a note.

To be clear- this has nothing to do with the Marketplace dealer designation we have for businesses that intend to make more than 20 "sales flyer" type ads in posts a year. If you want to use the Marketplace as a source of advertising, you will find an audience here on this board, so PM Art for information.

Johanna

Under Marketplace --> Finished Leather Goods, members can put items they have made, we really want this to be a handmade category and if it gets too commercial (as in mass made) we will categorize it out. When traffic gets to heavy, we will break out into different handmade categories e.g. Motorcycle gear, holsters, etc, etc.

Just follow the rules in the announcements section of the Marketplace forum.

Art

:blush: Yep, please do what Art said, too. Thanks, Art.

:hug:

Johanna

What about something like an etsy.com format?