leathervan

Bison Vs Cowhide: What Is The Difference And Which Do You Prefer?

I have never worked with bison leather so I don't know how it might be different than cowhide. But I heard it is stronger. Anybody work with it? Any different than working with cowhided?

I've only ever bought one hide. It was a fairly heavy chrome tan, maybe even 7oz+ in places. Very glovey, and a lot of stretch when cutting and working it. Reminded me of elk to work. Made a pair of chaps for a guy as a Christmas present from his wife. That was several years ago, and he rants and raves about them whenever I see him. They do get used hard; the guy rides horses for money and his equipment doesn't get babied. The requirements were "soft, strong and fairly thick" and it was the only hide I had that came close. I had talked to this guy different times about a pair of chaps, and he always said the same thing. "They gotta be soft. Too many are so damn hard." I bought my buffalo hide from The Leather Guy. I would use it again if someone else came along that wanted the same thing, but I balk at making chaps these days unless it is a special customer or I'm REALLY getting paid well to make them.