JS22

Looking To Get The Correct Machine " The First Time "

I have been recently and truley blessed to be given intruction over the past several months from a true genious in leather working, Sam Andrews from Andrews Custom Leather in Alachua FL. Not a shameless plug on my part, I am truely grateful for his patience and willingness to pass on his knowledge. I have been able to make several concealment holsters and cowboy rigs over the last several months under his watchful eye and all have turned out way beyond my expectation. I have been able to aquire most all of the basic tools of the trade with the exception of a stitcher. I have been doing alot of practice hand stitching some smaller items at home. I just feel I need to pay those dues. Mr. Andrews uses a Landis 16 in his shop which is a beast. Although I'd love to have one, as the thing could sew through a railroad tie, it's just not in the budget. I've done hours of searching around on the internet until my head spins and want to make a " One time puchase ", if there's such a thing. My interest at this time are leaning more toward the cowboy rigs at this time as I shoot cowboy action on a weekly basis. That being said, I'm looking for a machine that will sew a stout welt, around 3/4 inch, on down to belt weight leather. I'm sure I may want to get into concealment holsters as well at some point. I'd like to try and keep this purchase as close to the $1500 dollar range as possible, give or take a few if need be. I realize this has been asked a million times over, but any and all recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

... I've done hours of searching around on the internet until my head spins and want to make a " One time puchase ", if there's such a thing. My interest at this time are leaning more toward the cowboy rigs at this time as I shoot cowboy action on a weekly basis. That being said, I'm looking for a machine that will sew a stout welt, around 3/4 inch, on down to belt weight leather. I'm sure I may want to get into concealment holsters as well at some point. I'd like to try and keep this purchase as close to the $1500 dollar range as possible, give or take a few if need be. I realize this has been asked a million times over, but any and all recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

A realy good one-time purchase would be a Juki 441 clone machine. All of our member-dealers sell such machines. They have brand names including: Cowboy, Cobra, Artisan and Techsew. Most of these brands are available with cylinder arm lengths from 9" to 16.5", with some as long as 25". I am guessing that a 9" space between the needle and right inside of the body might be enough spin room to sew your holsters. If so, a Cowboy CD3500, a Cobra Class 3, or an Artisan 3000 would cost you right around the $1500- mark. Shipping would be extra though.

All of these machines will sew at least 3/4"; some will sew 7/8". All can handle #415 bonded polyester or nylon or 6 cord linen thread. All have triple feed mechanisms, where the needle, inside pressor foot and feed dogs move together at the same speed. All have a stitch length lever that can be left up to sew in reverse. The bobbins are huge and all the parts are very heavy duty. These machines come mounted on short body tables, on steel frames with roller wheels. They all have servo motors and speed reducers.

The prices go up by a thousand dollars for the 16.5" arm models. Parts tend to be interchangeable between all of these Chinese 441 clones. So, if you buy a 9" arm machine from one company and they go out of business, the parts for another surviving company's 9" machine will probably fit it.

Most of the dealers have have a banner ad, except for Bob Kovar; the owner of Cowboy stitchers. You can call him at 866-362-7397. Cowboy is shipped from Toledo Ohio, after the machines are set up and tested. Cobra machines ship from California. All are sent by truck, due to their weight.

Figure out what turn around length you can work with and buy the most machine for your available money. Stick with our dealers if you can. They take care of their buyers with help on the phone and servicing or parts replacements, should things get fudged up. All sell needles, bobbins, thread and oil (get lots of oil!).

A realy good one-time purchase would be a Juki 441 clone machine. All of our member-dealers sell such machines. They have brand names including: Cowboy, Cobra, Artisan and Techsew. Most of these brands are available with cylinder arm lengths from 9" to 16.5", with some as long as 25". I am guessing that a 9" space between the needle and right inside of the body might be enough spin room to sew your holsters. If so, a Cowboy CD3500, a Cobra Class 3, or an Artisan 3000 would cost you right around the $1500- mark. Shipping would be extra though.

All of these machines will sew at least 3/4"; some will sew 7/8". All can handle #415 bonded polyester or nylon or 6 cord linen thread. All have triple feed mechanisms, where the needle, inside pressor foot and feed dogs move together at the same speed. All have a stitch length lever that can be left up to sew in reverse. The bobbins are huge and all the parts are very heavy duty. These machines come mounted on short body tables, on steel frames with roller wheels. They all have servo motors and speed reducers.

The prices go up by a thousand dollars for the 16.5" arm models. Parts tend to be interchangeable between all of these Chinese 441 clones. So, if you buy a 9" arm machine from one company and they go out of business, the parts for another surviving company's 9" machine will probably fit it.

Most of the dealers have have a banner ad, except for Bob Kovar; the owner of Cowboy stitchers. You can call him at 866-362-7397. Cowboy is shipped from Toledo Ohio, after the machines are set up and tested. Cobra machines ship from California. All are sent by truck, due to their weight.

Figure out what turn around length you can work with and buy the most machine for your available money. Stick with our dealers if you can. They take care of their buyers with help on the phone and servicing or parts replacements, should things get fudged up. All sell needles, bobbins, thread and oil (get lots of oil!).

Thanks you very much Wizcrafts. I was hoping you would chime in. Your post have been very helpful to read!

John:

You're welcome to come down and take a tour on my Artisan Toro 3000. If you are who I think you are, I know we've talked briefly on the phone. Give me a call at our shop, 813.659.3456, if you'd like to come by.

K-Man,

Dropped you an email at you sales address.