SDP446

New To The Craft

Howdy folks! My wife and I are about to start learning leathercraft, and we are trying to figure what type of starter sewing machine we would need. The primary issue for us is that we have a limited budget for both tools and a sewing machine. We have about $500 to put toward tools, but only about $400 (maybe a little more) to put towards a good used sewing machine. Our primary projects for the time being would be items such as gun holsters, wallets, belts, chaps, saddle bags, horse bridles, etc.

I have been looking at the Consew 206R and the Singer 99-13 (mainly because they are affordable). I think that most of the leather we would be sewing would be thin enough for these machines, but I would like to be able to sew some thicker leather from time to time without burning up the machine. I know I am starting this on a pauper's budget, and with any luck I will be able to get a much better machine down the road. I appreciate your advice and suggestions, and thank you in advance.

Bottom line is unless you minimally tripple that number you are not going to get a machine capable of doing what you want to do.

Most horse bridles measure about 3/8" to 1/2" at the folds over the squares and rings. 3/8 inch is the maximum sewing thickness for a Consew 206RB-5. Also, bridles, being thick and under a lot of stress, are usually sewn with bonded thread sizes 277 or 346, or 4 or 5 cord linen, run through a wax pot. These thread sizes are beyond the range handled by the Consew or Singer 99 you mentioned.

Gun holsters can be sewn with #207 thread, minimum, for two layer pancake holsters. These usually max out at 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch, which is within the realm of the 206RB. You will have to use a #25 leather point needle to sew with #207 thread. Holsters with a filler welt are beyond the range of those machines and also require #277 or larger thread, which the Consew can't handle.

I went through a dozen industrial sewing machines before I learned these free lessons. Save your money and the aggravation sure to come as you try to sew beyond a machine's capabilities. Prepare to spend between $1800 to $2500 for a machine that is capable of sewing heavy leather with thick thread.

Most horse bridles measure about 3/8" to 1/2" at the folds over the squares and rings. 3/8 inch is the maximum sewing thickness for a Consew 206RB-5. Also, bridles, being thick and under a lot of stress, are usually sewn with bonded thread sizes 277 or 346, or 4 or 5 cord linen, run through a wax pot. These thread sizes are beyond the range handled by the Consew or Singer 99 you mentioned.

Gun holsters can be sewn with #207 thread, minimum, for two layer pancake holsters. These usually max out at 1/4 inch to 5/16 inch, which is within the realm of the 206RB. You will have to use a #25 leather point needle to sew with #207 thread. Holsters with a filler welt are beyond the range of those machines and also require #277 or larger thread, which the Consew can't handle.

I went through a dozen industrial sewing machines before I learned these free lessons. Save your money and the aggravation sure to come as you try to sew beyond a machine's capabilities. Prepare to spend between $1800 to $2500 for a machine that is capable of sewing heavy leather with thick thread.

Thanks for yall's replies! I greatly appreciate your advice! So would I need something more like a Tipman Boss or a GA5-1? Can you give me a few more models to keep my eyes out for? Thanks!

Thanks for yall's replies! I greatly appreciate your advice! So would I need something more like a Tipman Boss or a GA5-1? Can you give me a few more models to keep my eyes out for? Thanks!

Check out the Cowboy CB2500

Thanks for yall's replies! I greatly appreciate your advice! So would I need something more like a Tipman Boss.....

Read this before you invest in a Boss

I make horse bridles and own a CB 4500,in my opinion 4500 or equivalent is minimum.

Don't buy a GA5-1 it is a knock off of the Singer 45 they are not a walking foot machine the lower feed dogs really mess up the bottom of your project. They will sew canvas and other

heavy stuff like that but not leather.