UKRay

Us Leather Shows - Which One Do You Think Is Best?

Like most leatherworkers, I'm working on a tight budget, but I'd really like to visit one of the big US leather shows.

As most of you know (check out the user name) I live in the UK so, given the cost of transatlantic fares and hotel accommodation, I'm keen that my United States experience should be the best I can find - so I need some advice.

Which is the best US leather show and why?

What are the essential 'what to see' and 'what to do' events - remember I've never been to one of these shows before.

I'd be very grateful for some help.

Ray

Hi Ray,

That is one loaded question.

If you want all around leather, horsey, everything, then there is the Denver Market in January. It is just way big and everything, but not particularly aimed at leathercrafters.

For the all around leather crafter type show, the is the LC&SJ show in Sheridan, Wyoming. Billed as the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show (with a name like that, I can't imagine why it doesn't draw every kinkster West of the Mississippi), it is probably the largest vendor show after Denver. This show has Vendors, Classes, and Competition; plus several good bashes at Kings, and Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Please don't get the idea that this is the United States. Wyoming is probably the least populous of the states, and there is plenty of breathing room, vis a vis on one of the coasts. Plenty of time to meet and greet folks if that's your thing.

If you are more into the crafter/competition side, then the IFoLG show may be up your alley. Much smaller and intimate show, with a lot of entries and one boring as hell awards dinner. If you want to sit and talk with old friends, this is it.

If you are into boots and saddles, try the Kimmel show at Wichita Falls, Texas. If you can stretch out the stay, the IFoLG show is two weeks later in New Mexico.

Wickenburg is a smaller version of Sheridan, without competition, and with sand. Not a bad vendor show, in a large community center off the beaten path.

Take your pick.

Art

Like most leatherworkers, I'm working on a tight budget, but I'd really like to visit one of the big US leather shows.

As most of you know (check out the user name) I live in the UK so, given the cost of transatlantic fares and hotel accommodation, I'm keen that my United States experience should be the best I can find - so I need some advice.

Which is the best US leather show and why?

What are the essential 'what to see' and 'what to do' events - remember I've never been to one of these shows before.

I'd be very grateful for some help.

Ray

Hello Ray,

I can only tell you about the IfolG show 2006 in Butler, PA. I think it was not a large show, but as here in Europe are none (exept there was the Leather 2000 in the Netherlands) it was great to talk about leather a whole weekend.

It was an impressing experience and I have seen so many inspiring works. I entered some items at the competition and attended a workshop. But most important I met a lot of nice people like Johanna. :wave:

If everything going well this year ( horse healthy, car running) I am probably attending this years IfolG show in Albuquerque again.

Gesa

Thanx for mentioning the Albuquerque show. I'd no idea we had such coming and will be sure to attend since I live in Abq and enjoy leathercraft. I'm "ASSuming" that the show will be held at the Marriott where they guild recommends people get reservations. I didn't see a site other than the hotel on the web page for it.

FWIW, the International Balloon Fiesta will be held here(Albuquerque) Oct 1-9, a HUGE event, and rooms are very hard to obtain for it.

And the weekend after that is NewMexPex, our annual stamp show/bourse for all you Philatelists(stamp collectors).

John D.

Hi Ray,

That is one loaded question.

If you want all around leather, horsey, everything, then there is the Denver Market in January. It is just way big and everything, but not particularly aimed at leathercrafters.

For the all around leather crafter type show, the is the LC&SJ show in Sheridan, Wyoming. Billed as the Rocky Mountain Leather Trade Show (with a name like that, I can't imagine why it doesn't draw every kinkster West of the Mississippi), it is probably the largest vendor show after Denver. This show has Vendors, Classes, and Competition; plus several good bashes at Kings, and Sheridan Leather Outfitters. Please don't get the idea that this is the United States. Wyoming is probably the least populous of the states, and there is plenty of breathing room, vis a vis on one of the coasts. Plenty of time to meet and greet folks if that's your thing.

If you are more into the crafter/competition side, then the IFoLG show may be up your alley. Much smaller and intimate show, with a lot of entries and one boring as hell awards dinner. If you want to sit and talk with old friends, this is it.

If you are into boots and saddles, try the Kimmel show at Wichita Falls, Texas. If you can stretch out the stay, the IFoLG show is two weeks later in New Mexico.

Wickenburg is a smaller version of Sheridan, without competition, and with sand. Not a bad vendor show, in a large community center off the beaten path.

Take your pick.

Art

I got rather more than I bargained for here!

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions, Art. It looks like it has to be Sheridan as, along with meeting some old friends, its the vendors I'm looking to see. Having said that I'm keen to see other people's work too. This trip is getting more complex to arrange by the minute.

Thanks, Gesa. The IfolG show is definitely on my wish list.

Ray

The other plus to the SheridanShow, is you will be right in the middle of some of the most beautiful parts of the US. Yellowstone NP, Grand Teton NP, Glacier NP, and the Black Hills of South Dakota are all within decent distance to Sheridan. I spent almost a year in that part of the country 2 yrs. ago chasing my job, and it is some of the most beautiful country that I have seen, next to my naitive Arizona of course. Good luck on making the trip Ray.

I get asked this question a lot, and Art just saved me a bunch of typing. If I had to pick one show to go to, it would be Sheridan. However, the area is certainly not representative of how most Americans live. IFoLG shows are like family reunions, and the location varies year to year. Maybe LW needs to sponsor a show? Hmmm...

~J

Art's list is about as good as it gets. There are also some regional shows that are not as big. There are smaller shows in Elko NV and Pendleton OR too. These are smaller, fewer venders, limited class numbers, and most attendees haven't traveled as far to get there. Still they sure serve a purpose and although they may not appeal to someone looking for the biggest bang for the buck for a one time experience, they are a chance for some people to make a weekend trip if the timing is more convenient than other shows.

Social aspects aside, all of these shows are a great chance to meet suppliers, see and compare what they all make, and put faces to names. I would make one other suggestion based on some conversations with some venders. BUY from them at the shows. With a few exceptions most of them have a website, and they all take phone orders. Yeah, you can take a flier and buy from home later. They will be glad to ship. They would be happier though to swipe your card or take your cash at the show. This shows them that you appreciate them being AT the show. They have time and money tied up in travel, booth displays, and lost production from not being at their shops. It shows some appreciation for their efforts.

Well, I looked at the IFoLG website. That's about as minimal as they come. Does anyone know who is the webmaster?

It seems like they need to make a leap into the 21st century.

Last year a couple of us were asked to fix the IFoLG website and we haven't done it yet. Thank you for the reminder!

Johanna