That looks like an edge paint. But, either way, no masking would be required with careful application of the black. Block dying would stop it from getting on the edge. Where did the wallet originate?

Hi! Wow this may be the only thing I CAN answer on here..

Certainly you could do a very careful dyeing job, that's something I haven't tried.

The other option is the edge paint- Tandy leather is now carrying "Professional Leather Edge Paint" in a bunch of colors.. I have it for purse making. It's about $22 per 8oz. bottle. It's naturally matte (which that looks like) and you can get a varnish coat that makes it super shiny. I've been pretty happy with it so far- it's super flexible and gives a finished look. You apply it with a metal paddle that they also sell. This is definitely better than a brush. I sand it down with super-fine paper in between coats.

It might not be something you'd want to use on every leather, but it definitely beats a messy edge. It can also help disguise where you've put two pieces of leather together.