SouthernCross

Do You Holster Makers Hand-Stitch Most Of The Time?

Just wondering whether it's more common to hand-stitch or use a machine....

Depends on the style of holster for me, but most often I stich with my machine...

depends on your preference. i started out handstitching but then bought a machine because i had so much to do that i couldn't keep up. and with both, practice makes perfect. when i finally got my handstitching down nicely i went to a machine. my stitching looked terrible when i first started using the machine i thought about going back to hand sewing. kept practicing on scrap and pretty soon it looked way better than hand sewing. in the end i would recommend a machine,

Tony

Just wondering whether it's more common to hand-stitch or use a machine....

Well, I'm probably somewhat different than most here. I'm small time...I like it that way. I've been making holsters now for over 30 years, and I make primarily things that are not exactly what is commercially available locally. I do a lot of left-hand stuff. I have been known to turn away a customer just because I didn't like the way he talked. Many consider me a grumpy old man. I learned to saddle stitch from an old WWI 'horse soldier' when I was about 17, and all of my stuff is hand sewn. Frankly, I enjoy hand stitching. I can do it even while partaking of an 'adult' beverage or two. Mike

I am with Troop. I started out hand stitching. A lined ranger belt would take me a day to sew. I started not wanting to start a new project due to the amount of time the sewing would take. Then I got a machine and my stuff looked bad! After some practice I was able to get the look I wanted. I still have trouble with the machine every now and then with thin leather, but I am glad I have it. What ever route you take practice is the key. I hope this helps, JH.

I'm currently unemployed and can't possibly afford an appropriate machine at this time. All of my holsters are hand sewn.

I'm starting out small and slow, hoping to at least make a partial living from doing this eventually. I'd like to eventually buy a machine, but it's going to have to be paid for from my hand sewn holsters.

I have one hand. I started out handstitching and took at least two hours to stitch a holster. I did that about a year then decided I best get a machine. I machine stitch now for efficiency. It's also a health issue. Having only one hand to use for everything in my life, the wear and tear is very accelerated on my good hand. I've got light arthritis and I think carpal tunnel (I refuse to go to docs unless I'm carted there by the wagon) but it sure hurts a lot.

I've been making holsters for over forty years, saddle stitching every one until earlier this year. Even though I do it well, I don't enjoy hand sewing and avoided projects that required a lot of sewing. In January I purchased a Tippmann Boss and have been totally delighted with it. I'll occasionally hand sew when required. My initial experiences were just like a few of the other posters; i.e., my machine sewing looked terrible. Before long, my machine stitching looked great.

Regards,

Jeff

I am with that Grumpy ol'Mike(lol),I have handsewn for about 20 years besides that alot of my holsters are laced. Adult beveranges do make it go better.Dave

So far, all of my hand-stitching looks like I was well-imbibed on adult beverages....:blush:

Shorts, all my respect to you for sure. I know what it has been like hand stitching with two hands and I'm just starting out, I could not imagine doing so one handed. (seriously)

I can not afford a machine at this point and do not want to run out and purchase something that is going to either burn up or not do what is needed of it. So hand stitching it is for me. Someone in another post mentioned making a better single diamond punch. I have to find that post as I found something they could use to make one that would last just about forever I think. It is a Scribe that is hardened and looks like it could be reworked at the tip and re-hardened again. Look like one of the old time scratch awls with the door knob handle but it is all one solid piece of machine steel. painted blue, they have them at Lowe's if anyone is interested. 

Also with hand stitching I found a flexible acrylic guide with holes punched in it at different stitched per inch at a 45* and 90* angle, vertical and horizontal with division line between holes.  Found I do not mess up as much with the Tandy stitch pattern roller.

anyway, luck to you SouthernCross...

Shorts i messed up my wrist to the point i could hardly move it scoupeing a ton of feed a week for a couple of years. Then i got a Ace bandage for the wrist, one with a piece of metal that fit inside and it helped quite a bit. I did take the metal part out and just used the bandage part for a pretty good while but it did help.

Shorts i messed up my wrist to the point i could hardly move it scoupeing a ton of feed a week for a couple of years. Then i got a Ace bandage for the wrist, one with a piece of metal that fit inside and it helped quite a bit. I did take the metal part out and just used the bandage part for a pretty good while but it did help.

I've been wondering if 1. I should get a brace and 2. if it'd hinder my dexterity much. I might just have to grab one and see. Especially with the cool weather lately, everything hurts.

With the metal in it's kinda hard to work and move your wrist but if you take the metal piece out it's almost like having nothing on. I still use mine once in awhile. The metal piece slips out or the one i had did anyway. The brace i have slips over your hand. One good thing about the wrist support thing is they don't cost alot to see if it helps. This is the type i have http://www.drugstore.com/qxp167911_333181_sespider/ace/wrist_brace_with_splint_support_right_medium.htm

Hand stitch only. I only do it as a hobby, and I have zero interest in learning how to use a sewing machine.

Shorts, all my respect to you for sure. I know what it has been like hand stitching with two hands and I'm just starting out, I could not imagine doing so one handed. (seriously)

Thanks Reaper :cheers:

well. while im still new to the holster making aspect of leatherworking, i've been doing leatherworking in general for awhile and i do ALOT of "medievil style" leatherworking, armor, pouches, things like that plus general things. y'know wallets sheaths money clips, and i love handsweing even with my first holster i hand sewed it and while i'd LOVE to be able to afford a machine i like being able to hold the piece in my hands and make it complete, not to mention i ALSO enjoy an " adult beverage" and a good movie on the tv while im doing it :D whatever you choose, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

Right now it's hand stitching but my place of employment recently purchased an Adler machine so we could do some special stitching requested by a customer. Once this customer is gone that machine will just sit there until another customer requests it. I've been given the ok to use it after I'm shown the ins & outs.

Bronson

I hand-stitched everything for over 30 years, and got pretty good at it. I have several pony-type devices for holding items during stitching, a bench-top jig for stitching belts, special gloves with built-in stitching palms, etc. When I took my little business on-line and orders started regularly exceeding 20 holsters per week it became obvious that hand-stitching was out, so I purchased a machine.

Hand-stitching even a relatively simple holster takes me about 40 minutes or so, and that is after a lot of experience. Add a holster lining or other options and the time per unit easily goes over an hour. With even the simplest of machine stitchers production time drops to 5 minutes or so.

Last month I added a new Cobra Class 4 stitcher with servo motor and speed control. It is set up for about 60 stitches per minute, allowing very good control. With that machine I can easily stitch 12-plus holsters per hour, and lined belts can be fully stitched in about 10 minutes. Stitching quality and finished appearance are excellent with the Cobra Class 4.

The initial cost of a good stitching machine appears to be high. But when volume production is needed there is simply no alternative, and the increased rate of production makes the investment well worth the money. Producing about 1500 items per year, if the machine lasts only one year it will cost me less than $2 per unit produced (and I expect this machine to last several decades!).

I haven't hand-stitched more than a few items over the past 2 years. The weird pattern of callouses on my fingers and hands has almost disappeared. I no longer suffer from arthritic swelling in my fingers and hands. I can stitch for half a day now without pain in my wrists, forearms, and shoulders. Added benefits to machine stitching!

Best regards.

Edited by Lobo

Like alot of folks, I started down the leathersmithing road making wallets, checkbook covers, key fobs ect. along time ago. All were hand stitched including my holsters. For the past 3 or so years, I only build gun leather. As business picked up, I first went to a Tippman Boss stitcher then an Aritsan Toro 3000.