Hi all,

I am a beginner leather worker, who just has the basics of leather working down. I do a lot of living history events, so I prefer to have all my equipment as historically accurate as possible. Right down to the glue we use. So far I have used Hide glue very successfully - not as the main means of support, but as an adjunct to the thread to join pieces together. Several nice features of hide glue is low odor, easy to store and use, and best of all, as it dries it actually draws the pieces tighter. I use it mainly to hold the pieces in place while I hand stitch the leather.

I have made a number of belts, very simply decorated, which have held up very nicely even in a pouring rain (the glue didn't run, surprisingly). I have heard about barge cement but never used it... I need a glue which works as quickly (5 minute clamp time) and as easily as the hide glue, but which is impervious to water. Now for the kicker... it needs to have next to no odor. I must be able to use it next to an open flame, as I am either in the basement, or in the kitchen doing my work.

Are there any products out there which will fit these requirements?

Thanks,

Mark

I use a water soluable contact cement. It is blue in color, and is only water soluable while it is still wet, once it has made contact with both pieces that have the glue on it and bonded together, it is no longer soluable. I have used this glue on all of my work from hats to belts and vests and everything in between.

It is just as strong as Barges, but there is no smell or odor, and it is non flammable as well. I purchase it at the local hardware store.

Ken

You need some "TwinOaks Magic Glue" it does everyting you asked and is really cheap at $20 for a 4 oz bottle. Send cash, and don't worry about it seeming to be the same stuff that Beave'r is talking about.....ummm I licensed them to use my magic glue....and they changed the label....yeah..but it's the same stuff.

I use a water soluable contact cement. It is blue in color, and is only water soluable while it is still wet, once it has made contact with both pieces that have the glue on it and bonded together, it is no longer soluable. I have used this glue on all of my work from hats to belts and vests and everything in between.

It is just as strong as Barges, but there is no smell or odor, and it is non flammable as well. I purchase it at the local hardware store.

Ken

Hey Beav, what's the name of it?

That new contact cement that Tandy's came out with is pretty good stuff. If you stick your nose in the can, it can hit your sinuses pretty hard, but it does not smell up the room, and quite frankly, I think it works better than the old super-smelly stuff. I have not put it to the test, however. The old contact cement I used to make a saddle 30 years ago. There are a couple parts on it that I never sewed (I was a lazy kid) and the cement has not let loose yet, even after numerous rain and snow storms, lakes, rivers, mud, you name it. I take my horse everywhere!

Kathy

That new contact cement that Tandy's came out with is pretty good stuff. If you stick your nose in the can, it can hit your sinuses pretty hard, but it does not smell up the room, and quite frankly, I think it works better than the old super-smelly stuff. I have not put it to the test, however. The old contact cement I used to make a saddle 30 years ago. There are a couple parts on it that I never sewed (I was a lazy kid) and the cement has not let loose yet, even after numerous rain and snow storms, lakes, rivers, mud, you name it. I take my horse everywhere!

Kathy

Didn't you just have your 29th Birthday the other day???????????????????????

Rawhide, it is made by 3M and I don't have a can of it now to see the actual label, but it's just 3M's water soluable contact cement. I learned about it while doing my prison term, as we were not allowed to have the real kind in prison. It works just as good, just can't get high off it.

Rawhide, after surfing the net, I was able to find a picture and description of what I use.

3M LATEX BOND CONTACT CEMENT

• Excellent bond strength with more than twice the coverage of solvent based contact cements

• Bonds plastic laminate, wood, veneer, wallboard, etc.

• Non-flammable, cleans up with water

058_2546S.jpg

Ken

post-1605-1206322568_thumb.jpg

Didn't you just have your 29th Birthday the other day???????????????????????

Hey, I gotta stay young somehow! I may have to change the brithdate when my son catches up with me!

You need some "TwinOaks Magic Glue" it does everyting you asked and is really cheap at $20 for a 4 oz bottle. Send cash, and don't worry about it seeming to be the same stuff that Beave'r is talking about.....ummm I licensed them to use my magic glue....and they changed the label....yeah..but it's the same stuff.

Mike! Where do I send the money?!? As soon as I sell my old cow, I want to buy your magic glue!

Mike! Where do I send the money?!? As soon as I sell my old cow, I want to buy your magic glue!

Brent,

Don't worry about getting the cash, I'll take magic beans if you happen to find anyone peddling them :rofl:

After a trip to Home Depot, I've found another brand of the same glue as the 3M. It is Lepage Pres-Tie Green Water Based Contact Cement. I've tried it and it works just as good as the 3M.

It's actually the glue I'm using in the Custom Vest Tutorial.

Ken

After a trip to Home Depot, I've found another brand of the same glue as the 3M. It is Lepage Pres-Tie Green Water Based Contact Cement. I've tried it and it works just as good as the 3M.

It's actually the glue I'm using in the Custom Vest Tutorial.

Ken

I just switched over to that stuff as well. Bought a big can of it from Canadian Tire and figured I'd give it a go. It seems to work well enough but I've only used it for 1 project so far. Glad to hear I didn't shoot myself in the foot on buying it. Cheers.

-Chris