papaleather

Hello From Georgia

Hello everyone.

I am a new member and new to leatherworking. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I am fortunate to have access to the local Tandy shop which has allowed me quick access to tools ( I am beginning to see that you can never have enough tools) and hands-on leather buying. The more I read here and on the web the more I want to do but I will start out with a holster or two for myself and learn from there. I am looking forward to meeting fellow leatherworkers, and gaining a lot of knowledge (and help) here on the forums.

I hope to post some of my work here soon but till then, Happy Leatherworking!

Hey PapaLeather,

Welcome to the forum I myself have been on it for a short while but love it, you will find great friends here I know I have if you have any questions on sewing machines Trox and I Wizz are the men to talk to. Both gentlemen have helped me with questions I have had. One piece of advise is use the search tool it is very helpful or just post and a member will be more than happy to help you I am sure of that. If I can help you I will but my knowledge is very limited but I am getting there. Well enjoy yourself I know I have.

Ralph

Hello Papaleather,

Welcome to the site and you will find answers to nearly any question you have. As Ralph said, use the search function to find things of interest. I usually browse the different categories to learn what has been updated.

Great pleasure to be found on this site.

I am in Opelika, Al., so only @ 100 miles away from you. If ever coming to the area, send me an email to see if I am in the shop that day and drop in for a spell.

God Bless.

Ray

Welcome to the forum from another Georgian. I get to the Atlanta Tandy from time-to-time, I have Grandchildren in Powder Springs. Although I really like the folks at the Jacksonville Tandy better. Don't get stuck on Tandy, if you're serious about the hobby, there are other places to shop and buy higher quality than is available at Tandy. You'll love the forum, lots of info and friendly people.

Chief

Welcome to the forum Papaleather!

Welcome from the opposite corner of Georgia. You can find the answer to just about any question you might think of from the resources of the membership here. I would suggest that you search the topics you are interested in and you might find tutorials already written. Looking forward to seeing photos of your work. Mike

Thanks everyone for the greetings. I am sure that I will learn a lot from everyone here and the resources available. I do have a question and perhaps this is answered in the forum but is there any local leatherworkers groups that meet on a regular basis? Or maybe local shows?

hey there papaleather -

I am in the Atlanta area, too, and have been looking for some fellow leatherworkers to learn some new tricks. I'm fairly new myself and am learning as much as I can from the internet, but as you know sometimes it helps to sit with someone else and and do it with them.

Hey Guys! According to the latest issue of the Leather Crafters and Saddler's Journal, the "Georgia Leathercrafters Guild" meets the second Sunday of each month. The contact number provided is 770-979-0406. I think that's an Atlanta area number. Hope this helps. Mike

Me too, Smyrna, GA. Does anybody know of any other leather suppliers in the metro Atlanta area other than Tandy? I like it fine, but I keep hearing that we should explore other suppliers.

Does anybody know of any shoemakers or cobblers in the area either? I've heard people mention cobblers (maybe in England?) who sell leather or leatherworking tools, but I've never seen anything of the sort here.

I am in the Atlanta Area also, I reside in Fayetteville (part-time), as I split my time between here and Central America. In the Winter is when I retreat to the warmth of Panama.

I have not found another local leather supplier here other than Tandy. As for the GA Leather Guild, I fav'd them on Facebook, but from the looks of things, they haven't done anything since May. (I could be wrong and they just didn't update the page.)

Haven't really seen any cobbler stores around either, but that's not to say there aren't any.

As for shopping around at other Leather suppliers, that is a definite must. I get leather from several places now. I made quite a few bags out of the Kodiak oil tanned leather that Tandy carries. I have never paid more than $120 for a side. The last 8 to 10 sides I got were from $79- $99 each. The new pricing structure has it a $180 and that's the Elite price that I get. Can't afford that, so I had to shop around for better pricing and now use Waterhouse leather for oil tanned leather. I also Use Springfield a lot, but if it is something I need in a hurry like dye, buckles, etc..., I will run up to Tandy and grab it, but the new pricing Tandy have is just unreal to me. The leather has to be on sale at huge savings for me to get it from them.

Karina

Thanks Karina!

I'm excited to hear about other good retailers. I knew they were out there, but I was hesitant to buy sight-unseen. You've never had a problem getting a skin you didn't want? And is the shipping really expensive? It seems like it could be prohibitive on something that large.

I agree about Tandy's prices. I just assumed they were high elsewhere as well. At least we don't live in South Africa! I saw someone else's post that mentioned that the prices for leather there are astronomical.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Monica

I'm excited to hear about other good retailers. I knew they were out there, but I was hesitant to buy sight-unseen. You've never had a problem getting a skin you didn't want? And is the shipping really expensive?

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Monica

Waterhouse Leather has some Awesome leather and free shipping in the US over $99. Springfield Leather, although the pieces I have gotten have not been Awesome, they have still been great pieces to work with. A few spots I had to work around, but that's to be expected I guess. The best part is that you don't have to order the entire side, you can order by the sq.ft at Springfield. Great option for those on a budget or just starting out. The shipping is very reasonable. They don't gouge you on the shipping like other shops. I also just got a side from Brettuns Village Leather - a very "unique" Leather shop, free shipping included on all orders, my first purchase from them and I must say I was extremely nervous, but it was a very nice piece of leather for what I paid for it.

Karina

Thanks Karina! I'm also considering getting some bison leather from buffaloleather.com. The price is excellent. 7.00 a ft. instead of 11.00 a foot.

Thanks Karina! I'm also considering getting some bison leather from buffaloleather.com. The price is excellent. 7.00 a ft. instead of 11.00 a foot.

I got a side of Buffalo Leather when I was in Argentina last month and wow what a nice piece leather. I looked at the usual places Stateside and didn't see any Bison leather so thanks for the link. Also the url in your post is incorrect, just in case anyone else is interested it is http://buffaloleatherstore.com

Thanks,

Karina

For those in the Atlanta area and may not have heard, Tandy opened a new store on the Westside on Monday the 18th. (Thornton Rd.) I went and checked it out Wednesday and it is a pretty large store. Leather prices off the chart as usual with the new pricing structure, and this was the first time that I actually walked out of a leather store with no leather, but it is a really large store. The Manager said they will carry items that the Norcross store will not carry. Didn't see any - would love if they carried some Buffalo. I did load up on Hardware and dye - just no leather this go around.

Karina

I checked the new store out as well Monday. I knew I was in for a treat when I saw nothing had prices.

I did however buy a piece of 7oz leather. I need to make a couple sheaths.

Sweet! I'm going today.