jk215

How Does The Bottom Of This Tote Work..

I love the style of this Coach tote bag and want to practice re-creating something similar. I have made a couple totes before but cant put my finger on how this one is constructed. I guess Im getting thrown off by that bottom piece. Is that piece sewn on after the the stitching inside is completed and flipped back from inside out?

Ashley-Green-Coach-Bleecker-Legacy-Weekend-Tote.jpg

Looks to me like both halves were completely finished, stitched together, and then the bottom was stitched on. The halves, including the reinforcements on their bottoms wrap around underneath enough to provide attachment of the bottom section. I see no need to turn the bag inside-out at any point.

Let us know how you do.

Thanks,

Michelle

If I understand what I am seeing, . . . everything except most likely, attaching the handles is done and then finally, . . . the bottom is sewn onto the rest of the bag. It seems to lay over the sides and ends as opposed to being a "folded together" seam.

I would either have to hand stitch it (ain't gonna happen either), . . . or turn it inside out, . . . slip one side under the foot of my sewing machine, . . . and looking down inside the bag, . . . sew the bottom onto the rest of the bag.

It would be a real trick with my stitcher, . . . and someone would pay some serious coin to get me to do that :winkiss:

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

I'm not so sure. It's an inside gusset...big rectangle laid flat, good side up. Attach the hardware feet to the base piece then top-stitch it in place on the flat bed, fold the rectangle up inside out at stitch the gusset, then turn it right side out.

Hi jk,

What I think this is, is a basic T bottom tote. You would do all of your work on front and back piece and then sew the bottom together at the middle seam. Then you place the bottom piece on stitching on the long sides. The sides are then sewn down. Finally the bottom edges of the sides and the bottom edges of the bottom are stitched while inside out. It is then turned outside in, feet attached, lining is dropped in and stitched around the top. This can all be done on a flat bed machine. I was not gifted as a writer, so if this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try and draw you a picture or something.