tbird911

New Tip for Hand Stitchers . . .

Hi All,

Brand new guy here. I know alot of you guys have fancy ways to do things, I haven't seen this mentioned yet. When looking for a good way to pull the needle through layers of leather, it's hard for me to grip. I know plenty of people that use everything from pliers to special tools. I drill everything with a 1/16" drill bit and while I'm saddle stitching (I do everything saddle stich), I have surgical gloves on. It keeps oils and fingerprints off the surface, keeps dye off my hands and it gives a very positive/agreesive grip on the needles. I have found that I am able to stitch using my hands only (no pliers or tools to pull the needles through) and a small square of elather to help in the event I need to push a needle through from the back side. In addition a $30.00 table mounted vice can double as a stitiching pony in alot of situations-- el cheapo.

Tbird

Hi All,

Brand new guy here. I know alot of you guys have fancy ways to do things, I haven't seen this mentioned yet. When looking for a good way to pull the needle through layers of leather, it's hard for me to grip. I know plenty of people that use everything from pliers to special tools. I drill everything with a 1/16" drill bit and while I'm saddle stitching (I do everything saddle stich), I have surgical gloves on. It keeps oils and fingerprints off the surface, keeps dye off my hands and it gives a very positive/agreesive grip on the needles. I have found that I am able to stitch using my hands only (no pliers or tools to pull the needles through) and a small square of elather to help in the event I need to push a needle through from the back side. In addition a $30.00 table mounted vice can double as a stitiching pony in alot of situations-- el cheapo.

Tbird

I often need to make some holes by hand even when machine stitching. This mini-drill from Harbor Freight seems like it might be handy, especially the very thin bits.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=91682

Does anyone have experience with such a drill and know how it actually works?

Ed

Yes, and yes. The device is simply a handle for the drill bit. I've seen it used by model makers and electronic techs, among others. You place the drill bit tip where you want the hole, and twist while applying pressure. That's why it has the name 'precision' in it- it'll only drill as fast as you make it. I think you'll find it more useful to clean out a hole through several layers of leather than to actually make holes in leather.

P.S. The battery life on these things is just fantastic. :rolleyes2:

Mike

Yes, and yes. The device is simply a handle for the drill bit. I've seen it used by model makers and electronic techs, among others. You place the drill bit tip where you want the hole, and twist while applying pressure. That's why it has the name 'precision' in it- it'll only drill as fast as you make it. I think you'll find it more useful to clean out a hole through several layers of leather than to actually make holes in leather.

P.S. The battery life on these things is just fantastic. :rolleyes2:

Mike

I was thinking that maybe all you did was push down on the handle and the force would both push down on the bit and turn it, the way the Japanese hole punch works.

Looks like it's better to have it than be without it.

Thanks, Mike.

Ed

Ed,

I think you might be thinking of this.

Ed,

I think you might be thinking of this.

I was thinking the mini drill would work that way.

ed

I often need to make some holes by hand even when machine stitching. This mini-drill from Harbor Freight seems like it might be handy, especially the very thin bits.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=91682

Ed

Yes they work quite well. I now am the proud owner of a rechargeable Dremel Brand tool. It's small light and can hold up to 1/8" bits.

Tom

Yes they work quite well. I now am the proud owner of a rechargeable Dremel Brand tool. It's small light and can hold up to 1/8" bits.

Tom

I picked up this mini drill last weekend. Very good to have on hand. I have used my Dremel before, but I need to drill in a spot with very little room for error, hence the manually powered mini drill.

ed

I do not recomend the drill why dpnt use the awl blade its

better

I picked up this mini drill last weekend. Very good to have on hand. I have used my Dremel before, but I need to drill in a spot with very little room for error, hence the manually powered mini drill.

ed