Ferg

American Or Landis Model 25 - 5 In 1

I have purchased a Fayscott Landis 5 in 1 Model 25 that I want to refurbish.

I am enclosing some photos of the machine.

Main problem I have? The fifth function is not on the machine. The Welt Roller mechanism is missing but when I removed the bolt covering the space for this, the bolt and cover had never been removed since coming from the factory. Undercoat etc. still around the bolt and plate.

There are a few things the machine definitely needs and the welt roller would be nice to have since it is a Shoe Sole item.

No manual seems to exist unless in Bruce Johnson's shop. rolleyes.gif

I have given "Shoe Systems Plus, Inc." my list of parts I would like. They have some parts but not all. I downloaded a parts list and diagram of the machine from their site. Prices forthcoming.

Anyone have one, know anything about them, know why there isn't a welt roller on mine, you get the idea.

post-15740-080235100 1314305147_thumb.jp

post-15740-048578100 1314305192_thumb.jp

post-15740-067223300 1314305209_thumb.jp

post-15740-015764000 1314305234_thumb.jp

post-15740-046801700 1314305292_thumb.jp

Ferg,

Nope no manuals for one in my shop either. I couldn't say for sure, but they may have used this frame casting as a "universal" at some point and bolted the welt roller on as an option. The American and Landis ones are fairly intuitive to figure out the adjustments. Yours look like the blade angle adjustment is done with eccentrics.

I have a Progressive that I am playing with, and that is a whole nuther cat. I think I like it, but it is way different.

Bruce,

I have found several things that need "fixing". I bought it with the idea of refurbishing so I didn't expect it to be perfect.

You are correct about the blade angle adjustment.

Thickness adjustment has me befuddled at the moment. I think placement of the skiving knife in reference to the rollers, close/farther away may be the adjustment for thickness.

Blade is in terrible shape. Has been ground poorly plus a big knick in the edge. I am ordering a new one and will get someone to grind the old one true for me, don't think my grinder will hold it correctly.

I have no idea how you could cut leather straight with the cutter but then that cutter is bad also.

ferg

Ferg,

Nope no manuals for one in my shop either. I couldn't say for sure, but they may have used this frame casting as a "universal" at some point and bolted the welt roller on as an option. The American and Landis ones are fairly intuitive to figure out the adjustments. Yours look like the blade angle adjustment is done with eccentrics.

I have a Progressive that I am playing with, and that is a whole nuther cat. I think I like it, but it is way different.

Ferg,

They can get pretty squirrely if the blade isn't all the way forward to the stop. It usually on the bracket for the bottom roller on the left side viewed from the working position. I have had one or two without a stop, but had enough experience to kind of place it without cranking the blade edge off the first turn of the handle. The leather can go under the blade, over the blade or just wad up if there is much gap. To adjust the splitting height on most, you have to adjust either side equally to be level for splitting. You want to change a split thickness, you get the wrench or screwdriver and adjust both sides again. Pretty much I use a splitter to be a splitter and skiver to be a skiver. I set the blade at an angle I like and don't change it much. I adjust the edge left on the skived piece ( some edge or feather edge) with the fence guide. For the blade "Just set it and forget it". Not an original phrase and yes, I have a Showtime rotissierre cooker too.

If you are consistantly doing heavy leather then you might need to back off the tensioning spring screw on the bottom roller. On most there is a place in the frame casting that limits the height of the lower roller. They can only go so high. At least one of them has an adjustment to change the space between the top and bottom roller. The American I just got has a lever/handle to open up the rollers. There is a long bolt on that you can tighten or loosen to adjust the gap some. Nice feature I guess, but the Landis I just sold didn't have the adjustment and worked fine for several years. None of the others have had them either.

On most of the 3-in-1s there was a little table on the end by the round cutter. It helped support the leather to make a vertical cut. Seems like they are broken or missing on a lot of them.

Bruce,

There is a Skiver Fork Adjusting Screw/Bolt with a nut on top. I tried to adjust the Fork with that but there is so much paint on the threads of the bolt that it won't move.

As you can see I have some cleanup to do. My wife took one look at it and said,"What is that supposed to do?"

She should know that ever since I tore the CNC two head Router apart about a week after getting it , that anything is possible.

Thanks,

ferg

Ferg,

They can get pretty squirrely if the blade isn't all the way forward to the stop. It usually on the bracket for the bottom roller on the left side viewed from the working position. I have had one or two without a stop, but had enough experience to kind of place it without cranking the blade edge off the first turn of the handle. The leather can go under the blade, over the blade or just wad up if there is much gap. To adjust the splitting height on most, you have to adjust either side equally to be level for splitting. You want to change a split thickness, you get the wrench or screwdriver and adjust both sides again. Pretty much I use a splitter to be a splitter and skiver to be a skiver. I set the blade at an angle I like and don't change it much. I adjust the edge left on the skived piece ( some edge or feather edge) with the fence guide. For the blade "Just set it and forget it". Not an original phrase and yes, I have a Showtime rotissierre cooker too.

If you are consistantly doing heavy leather then you might need to back off the tensioning spring screw on the bottom roller. On most there is a place in the frame casting that limits the height of the lower roller. They can only go so high. At least one of them has an adjustment to change the space between the top and bottom roller. The American I just got has a lever/handle to open up the rollers. There is a long bolt on that you can tighten or loosen to adjust the gap some. Nice feature I guess, but the Landis I just sold didn't have the adjustment and worked fine for several years. None of the others have had them either.

On most of the 3-in-1s there was a little table on the end by the round cutter. It helped support the leather to make a vertical cut. Seems like they are broken or missing on a lot of them.

Ferg,

Yes you are right. I left out the word "easily" to change the height on that bottom roller. On this American a screwdriver or crescent wrench will do it pretty easily. The fork can bve adjusted for height on the others. They still have an upper limit, but can adjust down. Pretty much for most leathers, I leave them at the top limit. That lets me run lighter weight leathers through for edge skiving. and still have the flexibility to run thicker leathers through if I am doing skirt plugs or ground seat pieces. That is where backing off the spring tension helps to let that heavier leather go through. Still each of these machines are individuals and one might like to be more "high and tight" and the next one "low and loose".

Sounds like you might need to throw a little heat to that jam nut and bolt. That is pretty much another set it and forget it deal for me too.

Ferg, do you at least have the five-in-one diagram and parts list? If not it's part of Shoe System Plus' parts and supply catalogue for 2011. It might be on the web site too.

Kevin

The parts diagram [PDF] is linked off of Shoe Systems Plus' 5-in-1 parts page there's also a parts list.

Hmm, I have a Dania clone of the 5-in-1 I really should finish putting back together again someday....

Kevin,

I have the parts list and diagram for the 5 in 1.

Shoe Plus informed they have 9 of 12 parts of the mechanism for the welt roller. Are you ready for this? $700.00

There is a guard at the cutter that is broken, they want $94.50 for that.

Skiving blade and Cutter round blade is in stock and they are not too bad in price. Will get them either from them or Pilgrim's.

Needless to say the machine is going to be a 3 in 1 when I get finished with it. Seems that is what it was intended to be anyway.

ferg

Ferg, do you at least have the five-in-one diagram and parts list? If not it's part of Shoe System Plus' parts and supply catalogue for 2011. It might be on the web site too.

Kevin