cem

Has anyone tattooed leather

I came across this site http://www.polkaproducts.com/content/page.asp?id=104 and was just wondering if anyone here has done it. Looks kind of interesting I guess the leather has to be sealed with something first otherwise the ink would stain the leather when wiping down. Another example from another artist is here http://www.notcot.org/post/15223/

Cheers,

Clair

Hello. While I have not done it, I have sold a fair amount of leather to tattoo students.

Apparently it is very common to use veg-tanned leather to practice with before they are allowed to

try it on a live person. One problem that occurs since the hide has been tanned and has no natural oils in it

is that the dye tends to expand due to capillary action so it is difficult to get sharp lines.

That's all I know about it. Cheers!

Great idea and result.

I once carved a bag to match a lady's favorite tat. One of the most 'interesting' jobs I have ever done... <grin!>

Ray

Hello. While I have not done it, I have sold a fair amount of leather to tattoo students.

Apparently it is very common to use veg-tanned leather to practice with before they are allowed to

try it on a live person. One problem that occurs since the hide has been tanned and has no natural oils in it

is that the dye tends to expand due to capillary action so it is difficult to get sharp lines.

That's all I know about it. Cheers!

I had heard of that with students but those examples look pretty sharp but then they are professional tattoo artists so know what they are doing. Wonder if they are treating it with oil first and then sealing it. Might have to ask a tattoo artist here if they are willing to try it I think most here learn on fruit or pig skin from the butchers as leather is too expensive for mistakes. Would just like to see the effect close up to see if it is that sharp.

Cheers,

Clair

Also, that is some kind of chrome tanned leather.

The second is chrome tan as I found somewhere else where the artist mentions it and it's not actually tattooed but laser engraved with the pigment rubbed in. The tattoo thing come from that he is a professional tattoo artist.

I saw another posting on this board where someone used a laser engraved and it was a photo quality. now this is making sense.

I came across this site http://www.polkaprod...page.asp?id=104 and was just wondering if anyone here has done it. Looks kind of interesting I guess the leather has to be sealed with something first otherwise the ink would stain the leather when wiping down. Another example from another artist is here http://www.notcot.org/post/15223/

Cheers,

Clair

i haven't tattooed leather, but i have used pyrography ( burning ) with the detailmaster system... looks similar to tattooing especially when coloring the design with acrylics . rickmoo

i have often asked some friends that are tattoo artist and none have been willing to try it tho i think it would be nice if you could get away from the splatter that the gun would produce. i think sealing it well first to allow for wipe off, would be sufficient if using a more supple veg tan, but hey i have no clue but would love to hear some results if anyone comes acrossed anyone that has tried.

I am working on a project now that may interest you. I have a friend/customer that gave me a photo of his dad sitting on a Harley. The photo was taken in 1946. It's a tiny little crappy picture so it took a lot of work to restore it, but here's the picture. Before.jpg After lots of photo manipulation, I was able to come up with this After.jpg photo. Now, I had it laser etched onto a piece of leather Laser'd2.JPG and plan on stitching it to the top of his Tour-Pak like thisidea.jpg. I still have quite a bit of work to do, but you get the idea!

post-6344-125499677041_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125499718007_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125499719384_thumb.jpg

post-6344-125499728085_thumb.jpg

That's very cool Troy.I am very interested in seeing the finished project.Dave

i have given some leather to my tattoo artist..he is going to give it ago...he will try it various ways..sealed, not sealed etc...i will keep you posted!!!!

i have given some leather to my tattoo artist..he is going to give it ago...he will try it various ways..sealed, not sealed etc...i will keep you posted!!!!

That sounds great the Polka site definately shows the artist tattooing the leather and it does look to be sealed with something. Alot of blogs mentioned the Polka stuff was veg tan but it's hard to tell for sure.

Cheers,

Clair

yes i have , but i am a fulltime tattoo artist of 6years itis much easier tattooing people than leather

I'm still interested in this and came across this artist recently http://electricsolos.com/home.html and thought I'd post it up as some others seemed interested in it as well. Alex seems to have figured out the process quite well.

Cheers,

Clair

this is very interesting

thanks for the links cem, almost makes me want to buy a tattoo machine and learn something new.

Alex has done some nice work.

i know jay posted over a year ago...but i would like to know why it's harder to tattoo leather than people?

ken

Ken I think it's because the leather is harder and the needles can get blunt quite quick and get snagged in the leather.

I'm still trying to find out what they seal the leather with so it doesn't stain as you wipe the excess ink away, Alex's and the original Polka site I mentioned are the cleanest I've seen. I've also came across someone who has tattooed rawhide (can't remember the link for that one) but that was done wet so the excess ink wiped away easier.

I'm interested in it for the possible longer term fade resistance it offers though it will probably remain an interest for the short term as I don't have the room for anymore equipment.

Cheers,

Clair

Ken I think it's because the leather is harder and the needles can get blunt quite quick and get snagged in the leather.

I'm still trying to find out what they seal the leather with so it doesn't stain as you wipe the excess ink away, Alex's and the original Polka site I mentioned are the cleanest I've seen. I've also came across someone who has tattooed rawhide (can't remember the link for that one) but that was done wet so the excess ink wiped away easier.

I'm interested in it for the possible longer term fade resistance it offers though it will probably remain an interest for the short term as I don't have the room for anymore equipment.

Cheers,

Clair

if you rub oil or vasaline into the leather it should a) allow you to wipe away excess ink, and B) should stop the ink in the leather "bleeding" sideways giving a sharper image, and c) the softening of the leather would make it easier to tattoo, and reduce wear of the needles

cheers

mike

Maybe Vaseline?

I know tattoo artist use it all the time on clients so it probably wouldnt be that far fetched.

Cheers,

Clair

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand this. You can't dye or paint living skin, so you use a tattoo machine. But since leather accepts dye and paints, why would you want to use a tattoo machine when a brush could do the job in half the time?

I am working on a project now that may interest you. I have a friend/customer that gave me a photo of his dad sitting on a Harley. The photo was taken in 1946. It's a tiny little crappy picture so it took a lot of work to restore it, but here's the picture. post-6344-125499677041_thumb.jpg After lots of photo manipulation, I was able to come up with this post-6344-125499718007_thumb.jpg photo. Now, I had it laser etched onto a piece of leather post-6344-125499728085_thumb.jpg and plan on stitching it to the top of his Tour-Pak like thispost-6344-125499719384_thumb.jpg. I still have quite a bit of work to do, but you get the idea!

That's some great stuff! Wished I have laser etching services here...

I don't think vaseline would be wise, as it might gum up or react with whatever finish you use after that. I haven't tried it, but possibly some sort of wax based top finish or conditioner. If anyone has any real success with this process, I'd really appreciate any input as to specifics. It's tempting to play with it, but I haven't had time or the products to experiment with.

And as to why, tattooing is what I do. Carving and stamping has limits, pyrography works but lacks color, painting might work, but it lacks the finesse and control with line and shades I can get with a tattoo machine.

I'm sorry but I don't quite understand this. You can't dye or paint living skin, so you use a tattoo machine. But since leather accepts dye and paints, why would you want to use a tattoo machine when a brush could do the job in half the time?

Some people just like to try different things and I agree with Bad Hidess take on it. I'm not a tattoo artist myself but I've seen a few tattoo artist at work and have seen the effects they are able to achieve also colour dyes fade and I don't particularly like the look of colour paint on leather and although the laser stuff looks good it's just not what I'm looking for.

Bad Hide I think it's going to be trial and error with whats going to work the artists doing it seem even more secretive of the process than normal tattooing. I was assuming it might just be vaseline as they would have ready access to it and might not be aware of the finishes available for leather but I don't know for sure, if I find anyhting else out I will let you know.

Cheers,

Clair

Some people just like to try different things and I agree with Bad Hidess take on it. I'm not a tattoo artist myself but I've seen a few tattoo artist at work and have seen the effects they are able to achieve also colour dyes fade and I don't particularly like the look of colour paint on leather and although the laser stuff looks good it's just not what I'm looking for.

Bad Hide I think it's going to be trial and error with whats going to work the artists doing it seem even more secretive of the process than normal tattooing. I was assuming it might just be vaseline as they would have ready access to it and might not be aware of the finishes available for leather but I don't know for sure, if I find anyhting else out I will let you know.

Cheers,

Clair

Since it seems the only concern is "wipe off", you guys can consider using a resist. The resist if applied sparingly, works only on the very top layer of the leather. And since you are using a tattoo machine, you will actually pierce the leather plus the film of resist on it and the color goes beyond into the fibres itself where the resist does not permeate.

And when you wipe off, the resist protects the other areas where colour is not intended. Just my thoughts.