mtroyalguy

Easy Questions

Just a few questions.

Some of which are probably incredibly basic but I haven’t found an answer yet.

Can I use thread from the fabric store if the stuff from Tandy is too thick and I am not ready to order from somewhere like Tiger yet? What kind of thread? Would I wax it?

Chrome and oil tanned leathers come in thicknesses and stiffness like veg tan? I just can’t tool it? I am thinking for satchels and bags mostly.

Is bridle leather just a type of veg tan? I can mold it and use it like regular veg tanned?

Thank you

If you go to Jo Anne fabrics, they carry small spools of waxed linen thread. They always have coupons going so you can get it cheaper that way too. You're correct that chrome and oil tanned leathers can not be tooled, they just won't hold the imprint. Bridle leather is a certain quality of veg tanned leather, although I could be mistaken about that.

Thank you. I am in Canada and we dont have Joanne fabrics. The two fabric places I checked did not have linen thread.

Hmm, you're on the wrong side of Canada for my relatives to be of any use as to where you should go. ;) I know there's other Canadians on here though so they might be able to help you out.

Fabric sewing stores don't usually have thread that is as heavy as we use for hand-sewing leather, although you might get lucky on that too. It is just possible that you may find the right thing as "beading string" at a craft store, but I couldn't say for sure. If it's not pre-waxed, you'll want to wax it for sure.

If you want something comparable to tiger thread, try this http://www.mainethread.com/waxed_cord.html or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/260Meter-1mm-150D-Black-Leather-Wax-Thread-Cord-for-DIY-Tool-Hand-Stitching-/111401102438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f005ec66

I haven't used the mainethread poly myself, but many like it. I have used the stuff from China on ebay and it is good. Not as nice as tiger thread, but close. Their 1mm is closer to tiger's 0.8mm. It's prewaxed, but not as heavily as tiger is, which probably accounts for most of the size difference.

Hope that helps

Bill