winston61

Thread Size Used In Speedy Stitcher

can anyone tell me the commercial size description of the thread that is shipped with the speedy stitcher awl? I want to buy some extra in different colors. Thanks to all.

I believe it is close to 207 but I could be wrong. You are going to find that almost everyone that hand stitches is going to tell you this tool is from the depths of hell and is cursed. Ok maybe not that bad but its hard to find someone that has done this for any amount of time and likes the speedy stitcher. It makes a poor quality stitch. It is my opinion that you would be better off doing a saddle stitch if sewing by hand. It makes a much nicer stitch and its stronger too.

This is not meant to insult you its just that most of us think you get a more professional looking stitch that is stronger with the 2 needle saddle stitch method in stead of the Speedy Stitcher.

Hand stitching awls are only much good for repairs.

I have the stitcher only for repairs on gear, not for serious leatherwork. It is my intention to use the two needle saddle stitch for work that I care about. I was only trying to find the thread size to be able to find other sources of thread. Thanks to all.

I guess everyone has their own opinion. I personally think there is a place for speedy stitcher in my tool box. It makes a lock stitch like a machine would do. if care is taken to make sure your tension is consistent I think it does Ok . I use the stitcher that has the stud on outside of the handle. you can thread right off the spool with this one. as for thread size I do believe 207 is very close.

I think 207 is close too. If you use it for repairs and need to use different colored thread often I find its much easier to use a Jerk needle (McKay needle). It works similar to the speedy stitcher but much easier. Just grab the amount of thread you need, stick the needle through the work, it has a hook on it so hook the thread and pull half through, then punch the next hole and pretty much finish just like the speedy stitcher. The pros are that you don't have to load it with thread and you never have to worry about too much thread coming out.

You should be able to use the same handle for the Jerk needle. Springfield leather sells these needles individually or they can be found at shoe repair shops or supply houses but ask them for a McKay needle( they are used in McKay stitchers).

I use them all the time on repairs, I have two sizes for thinner or thicker threads and they definitely have a place in my tool box. Its much quicker and easier to match the color of the existing thread.