Sign in to follow this  
Vintage Singers NYC

Can Anyone Id The Machine In This Video?

Hi all, was just wondering if anyone can tell what machine the guy is using in

. (The video and the craftsman are from Japan, so I can't read any of the associated text.)

I'm amazed at how slow and precise it seems--is this par for the course compared to the set-ups most of you guys ('n gals) are running?

thanks,

- Nick

Edited by Vintage Singers NYC

Not quite PAR FOR THE COURSE, but this is a walking foot machine, left foot only, with probably a servo motor, operated by an expert. You too can do that with only... 20,000 hours (ten years).. experience. ON that piece of leather.

Kevin

Like Kayak45 says.....Knowledge and a Servo Motor.

Like Kayak45 says.....Knowledge and a Servo Motor.

Haha. Luke & Kayak, I have no such pretensions; I'm interested in knowing the machine model the guy is using out of general curiosity. Primarily I repair machines as a hobby. I've got three industrials in here with servos and enjoy expanding my horizons with YouTube, but I've never seen a machine move as slowly as what that guy was using.

Any guesses as to the make/model?

thanks,

- Nick

Haha. Luke & Kayak, I have no such pretensions; I'm interested in knowing the machine model the guy is using out of general curiosity. Primarily I repair machines as a hobby. I've got three industrials in here with servos and enjoy expanding my horizons with YouTube, but I've never seen a machine move as slowly as what that guy was using.

Any guesses as to the make/model?

thanks,

- Nick

Don't know what the make and model machine it is, but it is a walking foot, not a compound feed. I would guess it has a very good servo motor and a SR2 speed reducer, or similiar, behind the servo. He is a HAND though. Ken

Don't know what the make and model machine it is, but it is a walking foot, not a compound feed. I would guess it has a very good servo motor and a SR2 speed reducer, or similiar, behind the servo. He is a HAND though. Ken

good eye. this a drop feed walking foot (alternating presser feet + feed dog but no needle feed). we have one just like it. with practice anyone can sew this precisely.

Ron

Hi Nick. This is probably a Highlead 318, made for Mitsubishi. Highlead makes this machine for many companies, including us. Our machine is the Class 17. The original machines were the Brother 797, and the Chandler DY 337. On the machine in the video, he is using the upholstery feet instead of the leather feet that we use. Thanks, Steve

Thanks to all of you for sounding off, and thanks for the info, Steve!

- Nick

Hi Nick. This is probably a Highlead 318, made for Mitsubishi. Highlead makes this machine for many companies, including us. Our machine is the Class 17. The original machines were the Brother 797, and the Chandler DY 337. On the machine in the video, he is using the upholstery feet instead of the leather feet that we use. Thanks, Steve

HI NIck:

Ken said it best with his "good hand" comment and maybe you didn't get what he was saying. The Servo motors give you a RANGE to operate in. The right hand on the wheel really controls your speed. In the OLD days with a clutch motors and leather belts, you would let the belt SLIP on the wheel, controlled by your hand, to set your speed. Now, I let the Servo.. SLIP. It's the right hand on the wheel that really controls the speed of the stitch.

Some, are now trying to get the Servo so precise that the foot controls the speed of the stitch. I don't know about you, but, my hand is still more sensitive than my foot.

Just try putting you foot all the way down, and control the speed with your right hand on the wheel. You will find it works really well.

Kevin

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ronnie!

I notice he's laying the stitch in a crease, which for me makes it a bit easier.

good eye. this a drop feed walking foot (alternating presser feet + feed dog but no needle feed). we have one just like it. with practice anyone can sew this precisely.

Ron

after looking futher into the video index, the machine is a mitsubishi LY-2 3300, the motor is a mitsubishi limiservo 500w

HI NIck:

Ken said it best with his "good hand" comment and maybe you didn't get what he was saying. The Servo motors give you a RANGE to operate in. The right hand on the wheel really controls your speed. In the OLD days with a clutch motors and leather belts, you would let the belt SLIP on the wheel, controlled by your hand, to set your speed. Now, I let the Servo.. SLIP. It's the right hand on the wheel that really controls the speed of the stitch.

Some, are now trying to get the Servo so precise that the foot controls the speed of the stitch. I don't know about you, but, my hand is still more sensitive than my foot.

Just try putting you foot all the way down, and control the speed with your right hand on the wheel. You will find it works really well.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for the tip--and the clarification. For years I worked as an industrial designer, and whenever someone was particularly adept at modelmaking or drawing we'd say "That kid's got good hands." I figured Ken meant the same thing, didn't realize it was an actual technique. Will give it a shot sometime.

- Nick

Hi Kevin, thanks for the tip--and the clarification. For years I worked as an industrial designer, and whenever someone was particularly adept at modelmaking or drawing we'd say "That kid's got good hands." I figured Ken meant the same thing, didn't realize it was an actual technique. Will give it a shot sometime.

- Nick

In the ranching, rodeo world I lived in most of my life, being " a hand" meant and still does mean doing what you do well, having a lot of ability, mastering what you do very well. It has always been a compliment and I did mean it in all honesty. Ken

I notice he's laying the stitch in a crease, which for me makes it a bit easier.

What tool would be used to make those type of creases? They look pretty precise.. maybe it's a product of the press and dyes? Could you get the same effect with hand tools? I have an edge groove tool but this doesn't look the same to me.

You can use one of these ticklers http://www.csosborne.com/NO12.HTM or an adjustable creaser http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/8072-00.aspx

or a fixed size creaser http://www.csosborne.com/NO21.HTM

What tool would be used to make those type of creases? They look pretty precise.. maybe it's a product of the press and dyes? Could you get the same effect with hand tools? I have an edge groove tool but this doesn't look the same to me.

You can use one of these ticklers http://www.csosborne.com/NO12.HTM or an adjustable creaser http://www.tandyleat...me/8072-00.aspx

or a fixed size creaser http://www.csosborne.com/NO21.HTM

blush.gif, oh a "creaser"... duh. I really should have known that. Honestly, it's one of those tools I've dismissed as not necessary (or whatever), but now - I think I need to pick one up. Thanks.