bissetdesign

Portrait Carving/tooling

Happy Christmas everyone, my first attempt at portrait carving, this request came from a client who is a European LET professional golfer & she asked if her childrens portraits can be placed on both sides of a scorecard holder - 'so when I'm practising or away from home & marking my score down on the course (good or bad), they will always be with me & put a smile of my face'.

Now I'm an ok artist & quite comfortable with portraits with a pencil & sketchpad but this was very different & took me out of my comfort zone, completely different to sketching, next time I would do a couple of things differently, probably less cutting & a bit more tooling. I had a couple of photos sent on email to work with & I think it turned out ok.

Client didn't want any colour using, 'just a leather look'. It has 2 large pockets, 1 for a yardage book & the other for own course notes etc.

Any tips on portraits would be warmly welcomed

post-34717-0-52474000-1356733945_thumb.jpost-34717-0-95114800-1356733955_thumb.jpost-34717-0-07924900-1356733968_thumb.jpost-34717-0-52891100-1356733979_thumb.j

Portraits are hard to do...period...first of all you want them to be recognizable. I would be hard pressed to even attempt that type of request. Good luck on presenting them to her.

Thanks, the client received it just in time for Christmas & loves it. I must admit it was hard to do but I enjoyed it.

I've just had a look at the pics again & I don't think they do it justice, the 2nd pic of the older girl makes her look like she has bad teeth & goofy, which I can assure you is not true, plus the colour is quite dark in the pics too.

Hopefully get to do some more in the future.

Paul