Sign in to follow this  
Dink

looking for a tree for my first saddle

Like others on here I am looking for a tree for my first and likley only saddle. I have been in the leather business doing all types of tack for several years but have yet attempted a saddle.

I have rode many different saddles over the years and have decided the tree I would like to attempt is a will James tree that Billy Cook saddles used.

Does anyone know about this tree or where I could find one?

Thanks Dink

Tree shopping can be a task. You need to ask yourself how hard you arew going to work your tree. Serious ropers can go a couple ways. Arena ropers could be happy with fiberglass or glass incased trees as made by Hadlock and Fox(also make traditional trees).Lower price range.

Ranch cowboys who rope hard would probably opt for the laminated trees I think is what Nikkels make as well as Ben Swank in Billings and a few others around the U.S. Top end.

Bowden and Hurcules, Timbeline,and Superior make custom and stock trees wood and rawhide. Superior also covers trees with bed linerlike product they call ultra hide. has it's place but I would personally only use it for pleasure saddles.This group would be in the lower to mid-range price.

Notall tree makers have websites. If you need phone numbers give me a hollar.

G.Hackett