Making Leather Flops

While written for the intermediate-level audience, here's a relatively simple project for most anyone. Using the concepts presented here, the variations are limitless

Please post a pic of your project interpretation here and share your tips and tricks as well.

Making Leather Flip Flops.pdf

post-39643-0-40531700-1427219943_thumb.p

Edited by cseeger

Thanks so much for the tutorial, Clyde! I'm going to give these a try and post pictures in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks- I am a year away from trying this one! Great detail, pics/tips.

Thank you for this! I can't wait to try this!

A question: Did you use rawhide because you wanted something stiff for the crocodile skin to be attached to, or is there a different reason? Mostly I want to know if I should hunt down rawhide because it's an essential part of sandal making.

Just to be clear, the top layer is embossed cowhide, not genuine alligator. Pretty sure I got that from Springfield to -- their embossed leather bargain bundle.

Great looking tutorial writeup! I'm not sure when I'll get around to them... have too many projects lined up now... LOL I need more leather... and rawhide, and leather!!!

Terry

I intend to try it as well...a great tutorial and one that I will take into account when posting future patterns of my own

I personally hate flip flops (always feels like my big toe is being singled out and excluded) but I have lots of victims to practice on in my neck of the woods!

Nail Holes -- I should have been clearer in the Tutorial and pointed out that the nails follow the stitching line/groove. However, that is of zero consequence if you're not going to perimeter stitch all the way through to the bottom sole. In that case, I just hold the bundled layers together with my hand when I belt sand, but that's also been with flops that had fewer and thinner layers. Although I haven't tried, a hand clamp should work just fine as long as you carefully realign the layers as you move the clamp around.

Any other ideas out there?

At any rate, if you did not foresee nail holes as an issue, plan ahead.

Edited by cseeger

Tnx for the follow-up emails! Will take awhile but will post pics ad soon as they are done

Geo

Thank you so much for this great tutorial. I can´t wait to start my first try with shoes.

Spring has just begun and here in Spain flip-flops are, due to our warm climate, the most important footwear, called "chanclas" :thumbsup:

Angie

Thanks for this... gonna try to hammer out a pair for my wife soon!

Cheers. Will have to give this a try

First try - I went with "variations". I decided it'd be fun to use the tutorial and template and add enough to make sandals. My pattern was a little off, but they work, and that's what counts, right?

One thing, I cut too large and then got hasty and lazy shaping the heel pieces, so they're absolutely wonky. Whatevs, I decided. Also, my pathetic Tandy grooving tool was so bad I barely got the stitching flush. When these stitches wear through (very shortly, I'm sure), I'll go back with a knife and cut the groove deeper and resew around the edges.

Also, I didn't use rawhide... we'll see how well these last.

This was a really fun project!

post-38542-0-22596500-1428189794_thumb.jpost-38542-0-13402000-1428189793_thumb.jpost-38542-0-98417200-1428189791_thumb.jpost-38542-0-17887400-1428189795_thumb.j

Great job Monica. I started a pair of sandals nearly three years ago and they are still unfinished sitting on a shelf, so kudos to you for finishing a great looking pair sandals on your first try.

I purchased Vibram rubber soles for mine instead of just using the leather alone for the soles. I cut my leather soles with a band saw then sanded to make sure they were perfect. Everything has been cutout and waiting for me sew all these years. :) It is starting to get hot so it may be finally time for me to finish them.

Karina

@ Monica - ~ Clap ~ Clap ~ Clap ~ Very nice! Good job!

Btw -- Although I said "rawhide" in the tutorial, it was actually "horsehide". I do know the difference, but ever since I was a kid the term rawhide has meant horses. Not because I was taught that, but because of countless hours watching reruns of the old TV Western "Rawhide". Somehow that just became the association. So...I'm living proof that watching too much TV can have consequences. :-) Small font for embarrassment purposes and to not take away from your well deserved praise.

@Karina - bandsaw, what a great idea! You should definitely finish yours. I'd love to see what design you chose, and how the vibram sole looks.

@cseeger - LOL, I also enjoyed Rawhide growing up, so I think your excuse is entirely valid.

Fantastic tutorial, thank you sir! I do have one minor quibble: This is the internet. Kittens are never optional.