WScott

Fo Baird Leather Secrets On Sale

FO Baird Leather Secrets is on sale at Tandy for

$179 for elite members.

I know this is a reprint and not the original, but is it worth it at that price?

I am really tempted, a copy on E Bay is over $225.

Someone posted this a few weeks ago on here in the Tandy Leather Factory thread . The regular Elite price is $180.00, the Elite sale price is $179.99. a whopping $0.01 discount. The price may be good but if I actually paid for the Elite membership and wanted this book I would not be happy about a .01 discount.

My September Tandy flyer says

Retail $314.99

Sale $259.99

Gold $239.99

Elite $179.99

My membership is due, so would be renewing it anyways.

Is it worth having? I can't find anything that shows it's contents

I have already trashed my flyer so can't look at it, but if you go to the Tandy website you will see that the regular everyday Elite Club price for that book is $180.00 and the Elite sale price is $179.99. Now hopefully someone can chime in and let you know if the book is worth it, because I surely have no idea.

I read up on the contents of the book on the Tandy website and here is what it said:

"We've combined both of F. O. Baird's masterpiece books, Leather Secrets and Design Artistry, into one complete volume. This 2013 printing reproduces exactly each of the pages as they were published in 1951 (Leather Secrets) and 1955 (Design Artistry). The cover is the original F. O. Baird design re-tooled by Charlie Davenport. Charlie is Tandy Leather's Director of Research and Development.

The book contains a total of 130 pages: 96 pages (many fold out as large as approx. 24" x 45") of Leather Secrets and 34 pages (all fold out to approx 24" x 19-1/4") of Design Artistry.

Leather Secrets contains instructions on how to use a wide variety of leathercraft tools, how to carve, how to dye and finish, how to lace and how to attach hardware. Full-size project patterns include albums, belts, billfolds, books, box covering, buttons, cap-pistol holster and belt, cigarette case, coin purses, combination belt & purses, guest books, handbags, jewelry box, key cases, ladies and men's billfolds, spur straps and much more. Also includes over 10 unique alphabet styles.

Design Artistry is a portfolio of over 470 leather carving patterns in categories such as flowers and leaves, repeating designs, shields, panels, ovals, corners, border designs, ribbons and more. It includes detailed instructions and illustrations for those who want to draw and originate their own designs for leather carving."

Thanks veedub

I am gonna ponder it a bit. Bit too busy and lazy to travel to the store, so would be doing online order.

I would suggest a collection of Al Stohlman's books over Baird's anytime for anyone. In particular, i would suggest as must haves are Stohlman's books on, Tools, Belts, the later book on Figure Carving, the book on dying, and all 3 volumes of the books on making Leather Cases. There is a reason why most of the Craftaids that Tandy ever sold were by Stohlman, they were superior to most other artist's work. In contrast, while Baird's book is a masterpiece, the patterns are also very much dated and reflect a style of carving that is not popular today.

Ahhhhh that is what I wanted to hear.

I have most of the Stohlman books you list, which I find really dated in style but good for techniques.

It sounds like I need to visit the store and have a look through the book before deciding if its for me

Thanks

I have the 2 books (Leather Secrets & Design Artistry) from a previous print run, they are lovely but I must agree with WyomingSlick, they are very dated. I am glad I have them in my collection but I don't know if I will use any patterns from them.

I've been thinking of selling the two I have. The Leather secrets and design artistry. Do you guys feel 400.00 for both would be a fair price for both buyer and seller? Thank you

I've been thinking of selling the two I have. The Leather secrets and design artistry. Do you guys feel 400.00 for both would be a fair price for both buyer and seller? Thank you

It's a tough one to call. Book values go crazy when a new edition comes out and it usually takes awhile for things to settle down. One suggestion would be to take it to Abe Books, play up the rarity of the edition you have, and then list it at your guesstimate. Tandy will get those who 'just want the book', but you may attract some interest from collectors.

You can also do a search for completed items on eBay. This link may, or may not work: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=Baird+Leather+Secrets&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Be prepared, it is going for a lot less that I thought it would be going for. Some of the time you ride the bear, other times the bear rides you.