teddycrafts

Final Confirmation: Juki Ddl 8700 For Watchbands

Upon using my mom's sewing machine and consulting experts on this forum, i contacted 2 suppliers locally to see what they have to suggest and offer.

I am basically sewing crocodile, lizard, shark, cowhide watch bands for big watches ( 45-47mm ) like panerais and graham, they are really 4-5mm thick, no joke LOL

A walking foot like the JUKI 1541s is too expansive and the more affordable ones like highlead and chandler aren't available in my country, thus i have no choice but to look for other options.

Having watched videos of professionals sewing watchbands, i am convinced that i don't need a walking foot, but an industrial strength straight stitch needle feed sewing machine for this job.

I contacted 2 suppliers and provided them with the 3 videos i found on youtube, both suppliers suggest the same model which is JUKI DDL 8700, they told me this is good enough to sew leather 4-5mm thick, one of them also said that they can provide me with roller foot, P811 foot (edge guide), MT-18 Teflon Foot

One of them also said that i just need to change the needle size to 18 to sew on my products.

I need some advice from you guys before i pull the trigger, i am not sure if i should get roller foot or the teflon foot, some of my crocodile straps are from the belly, thus the top layer will be stiff and uneven patterns, i think the roller foot works on this, but i am uncertain.... based on the 4th video here it works, watch 3.20.

As for the servo motor, one supplier suggested "NEW STAR" NS400 servo moto, another suggested Taiwan Hohsing G60 servo motor.

These are some straps i made, 4-5mm thick, for crocodile second and third layer are calf/soft cow hide. So i am sewing single layer leather glued from 3 layers

dw48sj.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Mfbm-uuAg

These are examples that some people don't use walking foot but the need feed lockstitch.

I ask one of the suppliers bout the thread to use... but she couldn't answer my question, she said normal sewing thread will do. I am planning to use 0.5mm and 0.8mm thick thread, still waiting for another supplier to reply regarding this.

If you guys have any advice or opinion, please post it here, i need it really bad.

My worry is the feed dogs on the bottom of my strap, maybe i will check with the supplier if i need rubber/silicon on it or don't need.

Edited by teddycrafts

My suggestions are this;

If possible, find a local enough dealer and ask for a demo with your samples and thread.

If you can't show up anywhere, at the very least send the samples of materials and thread you want to use to someone who can work with the test samples and send either pics or the sewn samples back to you.

Also note, and it's not too hard for a guy who knows a bit about this machine, but this machine ships from the factory setup with a size 14 needle, and the larger size 18 is likely to deflect off the hook point unless moved slightly away. Each machine is going to be different here. Tensions, upper and lower bobbin case tension, would have to be adjusted. Keep in mind max. thread size is V69 as well.

Hope this helps, the worst thing that can happen is that you buy a machine that will not do what you want. Clearly, this would be going backwards.

Edited by Gregg From Keystone Sewing

Yes i won't buy this machine, I've consulted wiz about this.

I think i have no choice but to buy it from the US instead of local dealers.

I need a unison feed sewing machine, but the dealer in Singapore charging me 2.1kUSD for juki 1541s..... online sells the same thing for 1.3-1.4k. I believe because they don't stock them at all, they have to order it from another country. Nt much ppl doing leather work in Singapore, you see the problem.... i can find nothing much here :surrender: