I've seen "Quik Slick" mentioned here on this forum as an aid to edge finishing instead of saddle soap. I can't find this product at SLC or even using a Google search. Anyone know where I can find it?

Sheridan Leather Outfitters

I can't swear to it being the same stuff, but Quik Slik is remarkably similar to Astroglide "personal lubricant" which is available at most any drugstore. The ingredients of the Astroglide are "Purified Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Polyquaternium 15, Methylparaben, Propylparaben" and considering that Glycerin is one of the main ingredients I expect it would produce very similar results. I have not been able to find what the Quik Slik ingredients are. I've been meaning to pick up some Astroglide to test but have not had opportunity to do so because I forget everytime I'm at a drugstore. However the properties of the stuff are very distinct and it sure seems like the Quick Slik has nearly the same characteristics. I don't make any claims to it's viability as a substitute, but it might be worth an experiment.

I can't swear to it being the same stuff, but Quik Slik is remarkably similar to Astroglide "personal lubricant"

Quick slick works well, I thnk is wallpaper paste!

All I can says is that I hope one of the two of you are mistaken. I am not positive, but I am guessing that wallpaper paste makes a bad personal lubricant. Gives the term, "Stuck on you" new meaning.

I have nothing constructive to add to this one but I'm laughing like crazy over electrathons comment

Quick slick works well, I thnk is wallpaper paste!

I don't know about the batch you got, but the bottle I have is NOTHING like any wall paper paste I've ever seen. Wall paper paste I'm familiar with is generally either Wheat Paste, Methyl-Cellulose, or some new ones are some kind of vinyl. None of those have any sort of lubricity like the Quik Slik has. Like I said, it was a guess based on the physical properties of the Quik Slik and the ingredients of the Astroglide. The information is worth what you paid for it.

So if we accept that Astroglyde is the perfect and cost effective way of slicking edges, there are now so many questions:

How do we talk about it here without :rofl: .

How do we get the leather shops to keep it on the shelves.

What do we tell people when they go, "Those edges are so smooth, yet slippery".

I could go on, but you get the idea.

Aaron

So I wnt to the store and bought some personal lubricant. Turns out there is a lot of explaining to do at the cash register just to buy this stuff.

I lubed up the edge of a piece of leather and started rubbing...

post-2349-0-78428700-1393483942_thumb.jp

So I wnt to the store and bought some personal lubricant. Turns out there is a lot of explaining to do at the cash register just to buy this stuff.

I lubed up the edge of a piece of leather and started rubbing...

So what is your take away from the experiment? I can't really tell the quality of the result from the picture.

I will need to do a little more but it did work pretty well. I Just did it quickly, so I did not have time to really do a nice job, but the edge I got looked pretty good. If I have time I will try tonight to do a better test.

All I can says is that I hope one of the two of you are mistaken. I am not positive, but I am guessing that wallpaper paste makes a bad personal lubricant. Gives the term, "Stuck on you" new meaning.

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa :rofl: So many one-liners -- so little space <g>

Edited by TomG

We almost need to start a list of edge dressings for slicking and burnishing.

Intended and labeled leather stuff off the top of my head are Gum Trag, Ron's edge dressing, QuikSlik, I believe Bee Natural has one, and diluted LCI Neutral Case.....

Not leather labeled off the top of my head - dilute Elmers glue, Corn Huskers Lotion, KY, Corona (the veterinary salve, not the beer),Future floor wax... keep adding to it folks!

Water.

AfweG3W.jpg

It seems some are buying their edge finishing products at the Adults Only Store or the drug store. I ordered the real deal from Sheridan and just so you know, it says right on the bottle, "Quik Slik." So far in my testing, it looks like this may be my "Go To" edge dressing. I have a homemade power edge machine patterned after the Weaver machine. I have a wool felt drum and a wood drum that fits the machine and the Quik Slik seems to work best on the wood burnisher. The Quik Slik also accepts dye and Neat-Lac as a top coat and seems to keep everything slicked down during the process.

so what ever happened to testing the personal lube? for slicking edges that is and what is in the WYO Qik Slik? im still using the good ol Saddle soap method but id like an alternative if there is a better one....

I played with it a little and it does work, but I do like glycerine saddle soap better. It is still one of the best ways I have found to burnish. I must admit though, saddle soap is not near as much fun to talk about as personal lubricant is.

I played with it a little and it does work, but I do like glycerine saddle soap better. It is still one of the best ways I have found to burnish. I must admit though, saddle soap is not near as much fun to talk about as personal lubricant is.

In this case we may need to follow up with some Wallpapper Paste..

This is a very informational thread, Now I have found another use for Quick Slick provided the reverse is true, if Astroglide is good for slicking edges, then Quick Slick ...... I would recommend you not try any of this with Gum Trag.

Chief

Wow, some people! !! Lol!! Anyway might have to try Quik Slik. Thanks.