Piedmont

Rolling Edge Around A Round Corner

There is just something I'm missing.. I've tried making two cuts in the corner and folding the two sides over but that leaves cuts on the outside edge.. Then I've tried doing a sort of accordion thing around the edge but I can't make a consistent corner that way.. Sort of like this.

How can I roll the edges of approx. 4oz. Chrome tan around a rounded corner.. To make it look somewhat like the bottom edges here

http://makr.com/round-wallet-navy-matte

Thanks for the help

Todd

The leather was cut on a curve and then stitched.

There is just something I'm missing.. I've tried making two cuts in the corner and folding the two sides over but that leaves cuts on the outside edge.. Then I've tried doing a sort of accordion thing around the edge but I can't make a consistent corner that way.. Sort of like this.

How can I roll the edges of approx. 4oz. Chrome tan around a rounded corner.. To make it look somewhat like the bottom edges here

http://makr.com/roun...llet-navy-matte

Thanks for the help

Todd

As tree reaper says, and the example (second link) is not a rolled edge. Edges have been glued, trimmed to match, sewed, and burnished to give a nice slick edge.

Tom

Actually, what the maker appears to be doing on these is skiving and rolling the edges of each layer back on itself, THEN putting the two layers together, gluing, and stitching. It is more obvious and visible in the pictures of the iPhone 4/4S sleeve shown here http://makr.com/ipho...eeve-saddle-tan

I'm not sure why anyone would bother to go through the trouble of doing this when a properly glued, trimmed, and burnished edge would look and perform as good or likely better than this method.

Edited by evandailey

Really? think a burnished edge is cleaner than a rolled one?

anyway.. back to the original question of rolling an edge around a round corner.. any tips or tricks on how to do it well??

anyway.. back to the original question of rolling an edge around a round corner.. any tips or tricks on how to do it well??

Skive the edges thinner so you can roll the edge over without so much bulk.

Tom

Did you try with damp leather?

i haven't tried that yet.. no cuts? just wet it down and crinkle it up a bit and roll the edge.. I'll try that..

Actually, what the maker appears to be doing on these is skiving and rolling the edges of each layer back on itself, THEN putting the two layers together, gluing, and stitching. It is more obvious and visible in the pictures of the iPhone 4/4S sleeve shown here http://makr.com/ipho...eeve-saddle-tan

I'm not sure why anyone would bother to go through the trouble of doing this when a properly glued, trimmed, and burnished edge would look and perform as good or likely better than this method.

I think he's calling edgeing skiving because the edges in the picture are burnished and are not rolled.

I would skive the edges down to just the epidermis, the dense thin upper layer of leather, then put a layer of glue on it, let it get to that magic super sticky state and start folding. I find that having a shoe hammer to tap it down afterward makes those little wrinkles go away. I do this all the time on chaps and chinks. Taking a chrome tanned leather and burnishing the edges is pretty much a waste of time. I've never had any luck with that. Either cut it clean and leave it, or roll the edges like you're talking about.

Rolled edge around a corner:

The edges need to be skived from nothing to the thickness of original leather.

With 4oz. leather you will need the side you are using to roll the edge to be a minimum of 3/8" larger all the way around where the rolled edge will be. Measure and mark the 3/8" from edge and make a line from all edges allowing the corners to be marked as though they would be square. Using a drawing square, mark the point on each side of the 3/8" allowance exactly at the point where it begins the curve or portion of a circle if you will. This will give you the location for your first cut which will be on that square mark you just made. YOU MUST ALLOW FOR THICKNESS OF LEATHER THE ROLL WILL COVER. In other words don't make the cuts all the way across the 3/8". With a pencil or whatever you wish to use, make evenly spaced marks at the fold line. Now, using the same number of spaces on the outside radius of the corner make evenly spaced marks. You are going to make "V" shaped cuts in the thin leather with exception of the first square marks you made. Those pieces will have one straight side. If you have done this properly the "V" shaped pieces will fit together, edge to edge around the corner that you should glue down before sewing/stitching. Since you paid attention and didn't make the cuts all the way across the 3/8", you have a beautiful round edge that is rolled just like the straight sides.

ferg

I definitely think a burnished edge would be cleaner than the ones in the example I linked. Doing it that way, there is a clearly visible separation between the two layers that with much use will spread apart I'd wager. A good burnished edge will act and look like one solid piece. There is an application for rolled edges without a doubt. I just don't quite get the benefit of putting two of them back to back like that.

I think he's calling edgeing skiving because the edges in the picture are burnished and are not rolled.

If you're referring to the pic in the link I posted, look closer. The edges of each layer back where the wallet is sewn are skived and rolled back on themselves. That's why there's a distinct line between the two layers. If you're looking at the edges around the "mouth" of the wallet, I agree that those are only burnished.

Awesome.. good point on the back to back rolled edges.. and awesome instructions on how to actually roll the round edge.. just for anyone elses sake I'll try and do it and take some pics too.. thanks everyone..

On a small change purse or something similar the two rolled edges sewn together are a very clean and pleasing to the eye addition.

I do it all the time.

For what it is worth, I seldom do a burnished edge anymore. I got some of my inspiration from how very expensive books are bound.

Not for everyone's taste but definitely beautiful when done correctly.

ferg