Sign in to follow this  
pella

difference in quality of brass snaps, rings, dees

In my last weaver leather orders, i notice a difference in quality of brass snaps, rings, dees. It feel cheaper, not polished as before, design is change, the ring are weaker! thinner!

I send them a letter with my feedback, and i want to invite all people who deal with them and notice this change to send feedback. I am very disapointed to find quality drop. I am ready to pay more for better quality. I dont want lower price at all cost.

I will make big effort in my next orders to order canadian made brass, you can find good quality at Harness hardware, ontario.

If you have great place in Usa, please share with us.

I have quit ordering in brass hardware for some time now. I have went to all stainless hardware unless a customer insists on brass.

Randy

Pella,

Usually Weaver has been among the best for hardware for me. They all can get a bad batch or are trying a new source. Pretty sure none of the big sellers are casting their own, they are buying it. The metal market has skyrocketed in the last few years too, and that may be a factor.

The last order I made for hardware from Walsall in Phoenix, AZ was pretty good. I threw in some brass and italian bronze to fill out the order, and it was surprisingly good. I hadn't ordered from Walsall for a few years. No particular reason, just filled orders from other places, but they had a back cinch buckle that looked cool (it is). When I ordered before from Walsall, you would have to buff up one occasionally or it would have a casting pit. It was priced good enough to toss a few and still be ahead on the deal. The last stuff was all good. I am pretty sure none of these places are going to cherrypick hardware out of the bins for me, but my order was a step above what I got from them before.

I haven't noticed an apparent drop in Weavers quality except the last order I recieved had Tandy brand hardware in it; not a good sign as I have never been a fan of Tandy. I would suggest either Bork Hardware or Beilers Manufacturing. I have catalogs from both and the contact info can be found in the Big Book. I can get it for you if you want. I just made a harness using Brass harware from Beilers, it was nice and heavy and had a good polish to it.

Ryan

"Harness hardware" is buying cast brass from a local canadian foundry. They were even making stainless casting but stop this year, thats sad. In their catalog, it is clearly indicated if stock is imported or local, thats great.

But really there is someting changed with many of the brass from weaver, that i don't like. I can see a big difference with my old stock of buckles, snaps, dees and rings.

I dont like the fact they chance source, how can i know when they change or come back to old sources? always a surprise

i know a source for bork in canada, but look mostly saddle hardware, for now, i mostly make dog accessories and tack.

i dont know Beilers?

I should take a look at this big book. Do they have a catalog?

In my last weaver leather orders, i notice a difference in quality of brass snaps, rings, dees. It feel cheaper, not polished as before, design is change, the ring are weaker! thinner!

I send them a letter with my feedback, and i want to invite all people who deal with them and notice this change to send feedback. I am very disapointed to find quality drop. I am ready to pay more for better quality. I dont want lower price at all cost.

I will make big effort in my next orders to order canadian made brass, you can find good quality at Harness hardware, ontario.

If you have great place in Usa, please share with us.

I deal with Harness hardware all the time. I live 35 minutes away from them. Great bunch of guys in the heart of Mennonite country. A lot of their stuff comes from China now. They have made some things for me, and I was very pleased with their work. Good prices too!