Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything helpful with a search. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. All the products I use are Eco and this has been an ongoing problem.

Here is my process:

1. Hi lite applied with wool dauber (3 hours between coats with 2-3 coats)

2. Dye lower stamped areas on top of Hi lite applied with wool dauber (3 hours between coats with 2-3 coats)

3. Wait at least 6 hours and apply Super Shene with wool dauber.

4. Freak out as dye rubs completely off previously dyed area and smears the rest of the project.

5. ???

6. Frustration

I need some advice on how to finish properly so that I don't get any running from the dye. Also, if anyone knows anything better I could use to finish so that the project will be water resistant/durable that'd be great as well. I am making dog collars. Thanks in advance.

Best advice I can give is get rid of Eco products and go to Fiebling spirit or oil dyes. They will penetrate leather, not just lie on top like the Eco stuff. You might guess, I am not an Eco fan.

Terry

Eco flo is waterbased, so it will tend to bleed. You could try a spray-on finish, instead of daubing, and use several light coats to avoid smearing the color.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to give up Eco. I just like all the color variations. Is there another company with a lot of choices on colors?

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll have to give up Eco. I just like all the color variations. Is there another company with a lot of choices on colors?

Angelus. Decent amount of choices. And woodandsteel is right about spraying vs applying by hand.

Actually, if I'm reading this right, you are dyeing AFTER highliting??? Highliter is to give highlights to areas previously dyed , not the other way around. You dye FIRST, then highlite AFTER.

In defense of eco stuff, I do use a fair amount, but only under certain conditions & environments: if the item is going to be used under wet/humid/sweaty conditions (ie, wristbands , workout items, belts, motorcycle seats, etc, I totally stay away from eco., although you can seal these things fairly well with neatlac/clearlac, applied deeply. Still, it's not wise to chance ruining a lady's fine white outfit if you can at all help it. Eco does have its place, but its place is NOT for everything.