Clay

Jim Linnell's New Work Shop

Hi All,

I was lucky enough to be able to spend the day at Jim's new leather workshop/studio/classroom/leathercraft museum. As Jim said it is a lifetime of love for leathercraft.

He has put together a great place to come look at works of leather art by many of the great masters like Al Stohlman, Ken Griffin, Christine Stanley,Robb Barr, and many many more. I believe Jim said he has works from 17 Al Stohlman Award winners. There is, of course, also many of Jim's works to look at. In addition to the leatherwork there is a huge library of books, magazines, patterns, doodle pages and other publications on or about leathercraft. And for those of you who are tool junkies like me, he has a set of stamping tools and swivelknives that is beyond description. Tools from nearly every maker you have ever heard of and some from makers you have never heard of. I am proud to say he even has a couple of my stamps on display.

The studio is set up perfectly for people to come and utilize the library with a comfy couch for reading the many books and magazines. It is also set up with a classroom having several two person work stations. I like this because it will be a non comercial setting to learn with out added sales pressure. Jim is planning to have a class soon, check with the LoneStar leather guild or Jim for any info on class dates and subjects.

If you find yourself in the area I highly reccomend getting ahold of Jim to set up a tour, or attend a class when they are set.

post-255-069061700 1346558398_thumb.jpg

post-255-058022900 1346558401_thumb.jpg

post-255-064766500 1346558404_thumb.jpg

post-255-052136100 1346558407_thumb.jpg

post-255-081892800 1346558409_thumb.jpg

post-255-005155800 1346558417_thumb.jpg

post-255-068394700 1346558414_thumb.jpg

It was a sight to see for sure~!

holy smokes that's quite a tool collection!! Nice pieces too.

Clay, I was sure nice to see you. Your description of Jim's place is spot on. He seemed to have thought of everything. Even the storage closet to keep the leather out of the light was brilliant. I sure hope to make it to some of Jim's classes. And as always, George was quite the entertainer! He's got more stories than a skyscraper!