My boss has a pair of binoculars that his grandfather used in WWII and a case that he used but previously belonged to another soldier. Not wanting to subject the case to further damage but still wanting to be able to use the binoculars and store them securely, he asked me to make the same case but to update it with better stitching and 100% leather instead of the cardboard/lining leather they used for the original case. So here is my recreation of the bag but in black/chrome with his family last name initial tooled into the lid. 6oz. W & C leather with 1.5oz kidskin lining on the inside of the flap. I also updated the strap from the 3-4oz. originally used to 8oz to help the new one last as long if not longer than the original. Enjoy!

Chris

post-10543-007387300 1293166252_thumb.jp

post-10543-019820300 1293166263_thumb.jp

post-10543-026345300 1293166275_thumb.jp

post-10543-000575300 1293166284_thumb.jp

post-10543-052378600 1293166292_thumb.jp

Chris:

Projects with a deep rich history behind them sure are a lot of fun to work on. It’s pretty cool to think that you are now connected to the history line of these binoculars from WW2. Your boss should be very happy with this case.

Nice work, I like it.

Keep it fun !

Thanks Kate & Merlin, this was also a first for me as I hadn't ever made a bag using the beveled edges & angled stitching holes. Makes for a great edge but hole punching and stitching are a bit more of a pain. ;)

Very nice job, Chris. It's going to be in their family for years to come.

I've never used the chrome-tanned leather, and have wondered if you could tool it. It looks like you can. Does it carve and stamp like any other leather?

Dave

Very nice job, Chris. It's going to be in their family for years to come.

I've never used the chrome-tanned leather, and have wondered if you could tool it. It looks like you can. Does it carve and stamp like any other leather?

Dave

Thanks Dave. Unfortunately I wouldn't know about chrome tanned leather. This bag is 6oz veg-tan throughout with kidskin lining so both are toolable.

The chrome reference in my post was about the hardware. ;)

Spinner,

Great job, this really looks nice and imagine, if the Leahter/Cardboard lasted since WWII, how long this fine piece of custom leather work will last. You've started a new piece of history.

Ken