victorl

Leather/thread Color Combinations

I've been experimenting with different combinations to get more adventurous with my color choices and I just want to ask, what are some your favorite leather-thread color combinations?

Not sure if you are talking about the contrast between the two? What color thread looks good with color of leather or just colors of thread preferred. For me, It just depends on what im working on. On some things that are plain or say just basket weaved like black police style holsters i like white thread that pops. On something like western holsters where carving and stamping patterns on the leather i want that to stand out so i would use thread that is the color or close to the leather color so the carving and stamping stand out. If you are doing a project that you are using two different dyes or coloring a carving you just have to use judgement. Also, it depends if you are hand stitching how good you are at it if you want it to stand out. I use Maine thread and the colors i like are Lark, GoldenBrown, Bark Tan, Black and White.

By the Way, the reason i got into leather work was because i wanted to eventually make cue cases. I have been doing it 3 years now and still havent attempted a case lol. Im going to attempt a small 1x2 probably this coming spring. That small 1x2 has probably cost me over 1000 dollars in last 3 years :o

Thanks for that. I was planning to make a cue case when I first started too, but ended up busy with other projects along the way. I'll get to it someday. Would love to see yours too when you get it done!

I will definitely post it up and you do the same! Ive studied alot on the construction of cue cases etc over the past year or so. Actually did the lid, straps,handles and pocket last year. but that is far as i have made it. Already know of few construction techniques i need to do that i didnt do on this one that i need to correct. The pocket was difficult. Still have to construct the body and bottom and calculate where everything is placed. Didnt know it would be this difficult lol.

Havent made any parts yet, but I've pretty much planned out what I want to do for my case. I'm mostly just concerned about getting all the measurements down and have everything come together right. If you've got any pointers from your experience making your case, I'm all ears! ;)

I build shotgun shell pouches, and bags, etc. What I have tried to deal with, is the same ideas as you. The best I can determine, is thread goes one of two ways: Either you use a thread that matches well, and somewhat blends in, or you use a contrasting thread, and it then becomes a focal point to the bag as well. Somewhat of an accessory of sorts. I think it's all personal preference.