Dolphini

Yacht ideas.

Hi all, we are serious yachties and plan a circumnavigation in the next 2 years. One of the reasons I wanted to learn leather work other than loving the idea is to make money on our travels.

Being yachts I would like to have a range for yachties, personalised original ideas.

My problem; my original idea bank never opened.. :( :D

Do any of you have ideas as to what I can do?

I would make re-leathering kits for oars, decorative leather strips for boom gallows, quick release leather sail ties, leather gaff jaw protectors for the old gaffers, cork and leather keyfobs, bracelets with a pocket in them for the marina gate key - I could go on for hours!

Ray

As usual, UKRay has lots of good ideas. I'll just add one more, learn to braid, think, lanyards, and leather covered fids, and such. I did a lot of things working on the water, and the easiest thing to do while your sitting around looking at nothing but water, is to braid something in your hands, plus you'll have plenty of time to learn...lol.

(FYI, fids, I grew up with, but with poly braid rope nowadays there's no need, except maybe splicing around a spindle, but it shows you know something about the sea when an old timer looks at your wares.)

Being able to braid well is the nautical equivalent of having a classical education...

I grew up with old wooden boats and massive timber spars, I guess things have moved on a bit since then.

I still can't braid but I wish I could. Nice idea Dave.

Ray

Oh you guys are brilliant. Now I just have to learn how to do those things and find out what some of them are. :):evillaugh:

Old sailor but still not sure on some of them.

Ray brilliant ideas can you send your full idea bank to me will take good care of it ;):Lighten: Can't promise to return it tho. :lol:

Serious thanks guys please don't hold back. Do you know any sites they will show me some of those things? Like braiding.

I do rope work all the basics splicing whipping etc, maybe can incorporate leather somhow?

:You_Rock_Emoticon: thanks

Edited by Dolphini

When I was working for Uncle Sam (USN, . . . ) all sailors and wannabe sailors had two things for sure: a big "pocket" knife and a marlin spike. They don't make one a sailor, . . . but it kinda makes one look the part. If you are doing any serious braiding, or knot tying, . . . the marlin spike is darn near a necessity.

They were both carried in a leather pouch on the belt, . . . the marlin spike had a braided leather "tail" on it, . . .

Maybe???? Invest in some Case (two blade) or Buck (single blade) folding knives and marlin spikes to go with them. Offer "custom" belt sheaths for each/both. The knife blades should be in the 4 inch range.

Just a suggestion.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Marlinspike work and leather go together! all good ideas above, and now a nice leather storage case for your fine splicing fids

I Dwight,

Know what you mean re the "pocket knife" Great idea.

Pardon my ignorance but what is a Marlin Spike?

Many thanks for reply!

:)

Add red and green ribbon oiled leather fasteners to attatch wind ribbons to your shrouds...

Stainless steel flask covers carved to look like scrimshaw...

Leather knee pads for crawling around the deck...

Chamois leather sponge pads for washing down salty windows...

Ray

What about a roll up bag for storing signal flags?

What about a roll up bag for storing signal flags?

Leather tends to hold moisture and signal flags are prone to rot...

Ray

Good point. Thanks Ray!

Another blonde moment!

<H1 class=firstHeading id=firstHeading>Ok ignoramus here had to google "Scrimshaw". For anyone else who doesn't know I pasted it below.

Thanks UKRay!

Scrimshaw</H1><H3 id=siteSub>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</H3>Jump to: navigation, search250px-2005-06-27_-_Smithsonian_Scrimshaw_Collection.jpg magnify-clip.pngA small collection of ScrimshawScrimshaw is the name given to handiwork created by whalers made from the byproducts of harvesting marine mammals. It is most commonly made out of the bones and teeth of Sperm Whales, the baleen of other whales, and the tusks of walruses. It takes the form of elaborate carvings in the form of pictures and lettering on the surface of the bone or tooth, with the engravings highlighted using a pigment, or small sculptures made from the same material. The making of scrimshaw began on whaling ships between 1817 to 1824 on the Pacific Ocean, and survived until the ban on commercial whaling. The practice survives as a hobby and as a trade for commercial artisans. A maker of scrimshaw is known as a scrimshander. [1] Scrimshaw is also a surname.

What about leather key rings with signal flags on them? Nice and easy to make with a few coloured pens and a flag template... They would sell well if you pointed out that each flag represents a letter of the alphabet and people could have their own initial letter flag.

Had you thought of leather loops to hang ropes from. One end is fixed to the bulkhead with a heavy duty press stud and the other loops round the rope and clips it all into place. You would need to oil them nicely to keep the moisture out but they worked for me. Tidy ropes are a delight.

How about a long thin pouch to take a screwdriver, marlin spike and a pair of pliers when working up a mast. Make it out of chrome tan and it should last for years.

Talking of working up masts: how about a leather masthead bucket (like the ones on HMS Victory) with the yacht's name on the side. A bit like a huge leather tankard with a rope handle. The beauty of it is that it won't scratch or mark varnish or gelcoat like a hard plastic or metal bucket and can be hauled aloft easily because it is nice and lightweight.

I must get on with some work...

Ray

You can always make/repair fender hooks for the larger yachts. One of my brothers does this now for some very nice MY's. He is basket stamping the leather covers and also lasering the yacht name in them too. Very first class for the multi million $ yachts. For the owner who just needs to spend more $. haha.

He also did some replacement panels on the ceiling of one. They were covered in fabric, then recovered in upolstry leather. Used up about 40 hides.

Guess it also depends if you are doing things in port or on sea to pass the time. I would hate to stick an awl through my hand at sea.

Also, if you are looking to do repairs or new stuff.? If repairs; you can take on some canvas projects. Some of the tools overlap with leather, making repairs easy.

Have a great time. What size are you on? MY or Wind power?

:You_Rock_Emoticon: Ray you have awesome ideas. Can you post yourself over to me please so I can turn on when I need new ones. :notworthy:

Love the Bosuns bag idea for up the mast I bought leather for it yesterday will post the results.

The keyrings are also cool. You say pens to color leather. My inexperience is showing again. What "pens" does one use that don't rub off? Do you then seal them? with what if not oiled?

Most ropes outside of yachts and very few are wooden these days. Not much plave on mast to hang ropes with leather that will not be almost permanantly wet. Well not on our size.. 40'

Barry those are great ideas when we get to the "big yacht world" lol not many in our area with that sort of money.

We are on a 40" sail yacht. An Island Spirit.

:thumbsup:

You have no idea what you are suggesting. The shipping charges would be outrageous for something my size... I'd best stay over this side of the pond!

I was thinking of mooring ropes stowed below. Fix the straps onto a bulkhead or inside a hanging locker.

Use old felt tip pens and spirit dye and seal with oil - or for bright colors try acrylic paints. There has been a thread recently about sealing acrylics.

Ray

Edited by UKRay

Well a 40 is a good size. My brother captains a 104" MY and my other brother used to be a first mate on a few from 104-165". They have encountered many projects and to do's on the boats they have worked on. And, believe me, I have heard some good stories.