kelleybean

Noob Question About Hand Sewing Thread

The only kind of thread I've used for handstitching so far is that very thick waxed stuff that Tandy sells. It does NOT look good. Since I can't really seem to find a place to get Tiger Thread in the US, I wonder what my other options are.

Is there a particular brand you guys generally like to use? Linen or polyester material? I was wondering if normal heavy duty thread could be used also. I made a small test project last night and used a spool of heavy duty thread, doubled, and I think it turned out looking nice, but I'm not sure if it will be strong enough to hold up. And if I do use normal thread, does it need waxing? Ian Atkinson mentioned in one of his videos that if you're using unwaxed thread you should apply wax, but...why, exactly? I'm not sure what the point of the wax is.

Thank you!

If you do a search on these forums for Tiger thread you will find a couple of sources for the Tiger thread. THere are a couple of people that are selling it by the spool here in the US and some one is selling it I think 10m lengths. Check with Electrathon on these forumms I think he was planning on buying a quanity and I think he was planning on reselling.

I've been using nylon 346 thread from Tippmann. I bought it to try to get an old Boss up and running. Until then, I've been hand stitching with it. I run it through beeswax before I start. I've been very happy with the results.

@kelleybean: If you are looking to continue the hand-stitching legacy and your immediate source is a local Tandy store then you can use the waxed nylon or waxed linen threads as they are thinner than the stuff you are talking about. They are only available in 25 yard mini-spools but they don't cost a bunch and work real well. You can also spend a bit more to get a bit more and actually buy the spools of sewing awl thread from Tandy. All of these options are specifically designed for immediate hand-stitching use without have to split it down. I use all of these for routine items and find them to be quite easy to work with. I still have several spools of that thicker stuff around but I have been using for decades and have learned how to split it down to the number of strands that I need for any given application. I do all of my sewing by hand as it is still more durable than any machine sewn lock-stitch (although there are some here who would disagree).

I didn't get enough interest in a group buy so I dropped the idea. If you want I can send a sample to see the difference in how it sews.

Aaron

Barbour's linen in nice to use, wax it yourself, but its really nice. I haven't tried thr Tiger thread so I cannot compare.

I grew to hate the Tandy thread. Currently I am using and enjoy using this-

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=waxed-thread

I grew to hate the Tandy thread. Currently I am using and enjoy using this-

http://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TTE&Category_Code=waxed-thread

What sizes would you recommend for something like a holster?

SouthernCross, I've not made a holster and only used their #207 & 277 which appears thin for one.

Seems like you'd need one of their larger options.

Maybe someone who has used their larger threads will reply.

What sizes would you recommend for something like a holster?

I use some of my thread as part of the design, especially the contrast stitching. 277 is too thin for what I wanted. 346 works very well and stands out nicely on my holsters. I would like to check out 407, but I've got 2 spools of 346 that work well so I probably won't do that. Before this, I had tried most of what Springfield leather had and some from a buddy. I settled on the waxed lined from Hobby Lobby (Silver Creek Leather) until I bought the spools from Tippmann.

Thanks, y'all.

Jason, what section in Hobby Lobby did you find the thread you speak of?

I have used two threads. Tandys waxed linen and Dasew handsewing waxed Polyester R.T. in V-462M. The reason I have used these is I got a bunch at a garage sale several years ago. I am now running out and need to buy something in a similar size. I use Osborn "O" needles. Any suggestions?

Thanks, y'all.

Jason, what section in Hobby Lobby did you find the thread you speak of?

My local HL has a great leather section. It was on a blue card with the name "REALEATHER Craft Lace" and came in 25 yard lengths. It was waxed linen. I actually like it better than the 346 for hand stitching. But I prefer having a larger spool instead of all the waste I got at the end of 25 yards. This thread is larger than my 346 but smaller than anything I got from Springfield Leather.

Found a link to it on the HL site.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/brown-waxed-thread-710814/

Hey Chief Jason, Do you have a pic of the 346 on a holster i/we can see to help illustrate its visual form you speak of? I regularly swen my holsters and most everything with 277. I would like to compare please. It may do us all some good. Only difference is I sew with a class 4 machine.

Thx,

Bro Timothy.

Timothy,

Here is one I just sent out and a personal knife sheath I just finished. These are 346 Natural from Tippmann. I ordered it while trying to get an old Boss 1 up and running. I'm hand stitching with it until then. I do have to wax this myself. The thread that came with it appeared to be 277, no markings. I tried to hand stitch a bit with it but it just disappeared in the groove. As you can see, I need a thread that stands out for the contrasting stuff. Black on black is not as noticeable.

DSC_0084_zpsfc44f22a.jpg

DSC_0079_zpsbb2c0798.jpg

DSC_0001_zpsdbdefee3.jpg

I recently purchased Tiger Tread from that seller. Based on the great reviews TT receives I am looking forward to trying it!

Chief, I've looked at these several times since you posted them. Nice work BTW. Some reason I expected it to appear more prominate, I've never had any 346 in hand. Are you cutting a groove or creasing? As I said I sew with 277 and sometimes think its small but, sometimes it looks huge! I'm tempted to buy a spool of 346 in red to put on as a contrasting element to a black side I've got here. I wonder why folks don't do a contrasting thread more? It seems to me that folks try to hide their seams instead of using it as a design element. I'm a believer in form and function.

Bro Tim

As a total noob at hand-stitching my work benefits from not seeing those sloppy stitches! ;)

I agree contrasting thread looks good and I'd hope to one day incorporate it into my projects.

Thanks, Jason. My HL has a leather section about the size of a refrigerator door. I'll check and see if I can find the thread.

Tim,

I groove the leather for the stitches. I want them to be seen and look good. But, being holsters I want to protect the thread from as much wear and snagging as I can. The size was more evident on my black holsters. The 277 nearly disappeared. I could barely see the stitch. The 346 is much more visible to me at least. Maybe it's more noticeable in person, or maybe it's just me.