Sign in to follow this  
Dunnachie

Terminal Knots For Leather Leashes

i recently started braiding dog show leashes with 4 strand round braid of 3/32 kangaroo leather. I am adding beads or gems along the braid and need to find a good terminal knot to use to keep the beads from slipping. Currently I am using a Turks Head Terminal Knot as described in the Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding but I am wondering if there is something that would be more sutable. I need for the strands to extend from the center of the know (or button) so I can continue braiding. Any suggestions?

Hello,

Is this what you are looking for? The term 'Turks Head Knot' seems to cover a variety of knots that are on a similar theme? I found several knots called Turks Head that were similar to this one but tied differently! This one is easy enough.

post-31019-099504700 1336043417_thumb.jp

So if you want the diagram let me know and I will draw it out and post it.

I look forward to seeing some pics of your dog leads as that is a project I also have in mind....hence the research on 'Turks Heads'!

Best wishes.

Yep. That's it. I thing the Turks's Head is the same as a crown knot and then I make a wall around it, threading the strands back through the X's to come out the middle. Seems like I was having trouble with the last strand, getting it threaded back through the correct way. But that's seems to be going better for me now. Probably a bit of practice helps :) . I'll attach a photo of the knot I am using. I would love to have your diagram. it always helps to see it on paper. Let me know more about your planned project and I can send you photos of the leashes I have done.

post-30160-046674800 1336066355_thumb.jp

Edited by Dunnachie

This link with pictures may be better than my drawing!

http://www.falconryforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18469

Though I would add to the good instructions and pics that at the end of the first stage as shown in posts 5 and 6, do not tighten it so much as shown in post 6. Just tighten enough to just about stop it falling apart while you work. This will make it easier to do the second sgae of the knot and ensure that you can twist any strands so that the grain and flesh sides are the right way. you can then tighten each strand in turn .

I hope I am not trying to teach my Grandad how to suck eggs, but if you need to loosen the knot a little, ( in order to manipulate some wayward strands) this can be done by taking exact opposite strands from the centre and tugging them outwards.

Here is another link with animated knot tying. It deals with rope, but many can be transfered to leather.

And you never know when you may need a good knot!

http://www.animatedknots.com/

Regards.

I'm just starting to make dog leads also. I was considering using that knot. But I'm wondering if it would be better to just make the braid, put the beads on after it's complete, and then use a ring knot (through the core) to hold them in place.

when we braid show leads with beads i use what bruce grant calls a rein knot to secure beads and for decorative small knots. i think it is shown in all his books. if you make it with small lace it is much smaller than a turks head.

Thank you - I have his book (encyclopedia). I think the ring knot and what he calls a rein knot is the same thing, does that sound right?

Two strands of leather, both put through the core = 4 strands to work with.

I have a beveler, was thinking of using that to just make some of my 1/8" lace a little smaller, and using that for the knots.

What do you do with the ends, after tying the knot?

Edited by Tracym