Sign in to follow this  
elt2jvadam

New Member From Kansas

I've been making leather holsters for about a year and am entirely self-taught.

I use 6/8 oz leather, knife cut to a paper pattern. I lay out the stitching with wing dividers and punch the stitch-holes with a hollow punch. Then I hand sew a saddle stitch with artificial sinew, backstitching the last three stitches. I wet mold the leather (water only) with clay sculpting tools and dry the holster thoroughly with a heat gun before pouring a 50/50 mix of Gulf Wax and beeswax over the holster until saturation (excluding the inside surface. I melt and reflow the accumulated wax with the heat gun to remove the excess, then buff the finish to a dull gloss.

As many here have much more experience, please comment on my work and advise on improvements.

post-33830-099807100 1344366873_thumb.jp

post-33830-051308200 1344366893_thumb.jp

post-33830-037927200 1344366913_thumb.jp

I've been making leather holsters for about a year and am entirely self-taught.

I use 6/8 oz leather, knife cut to a paper pattern. I lay out the stitching with wing dividers and punch the stitch-holes with a hollow punch. Then I hand sew a saddle stitch with artificial sinew, backstitching the last three stitches. I wet mold the leather (water only) with clay sculpting tools and dry the holster thoroughly with a heat gun before pouring a 50/50 mix of Gulf Wax and beeswax over the holster until saturation (excluding the inside surface. I melt and reflow the accumulated wax with the heat gun to remove the excess, then buff the finish to a dull gloss.

As many here have much more experience, please comment on my work and advise on improvements.

First thing I'd say is Welcome to the forum!

Second thing is the pics are a tiny bit too small to get specific on comments but from what I can see you are doing fine work. I'd like to see an enlarged picture of the revolver holster, if you have one.

Jake

First thing I'd say is Welcome to the forum!

Second thing is the pics are a tiny bit too small to get specific on comments but from what I can see you are doing fine work. I'd like to see an enlarged picture of the revolver holster, if you have one.

Jake

Thanks for the welcome and the compliment. The GP100 holster was a bit odd, as it was salvaged from a previous project. It didn't come out as even as I'd have liked, but the guy I made it for was ecstatic. Here's some more pics:

post-33830-084270000 1345120845_thumb.jp

post-33830-014109200 1345120857_thumb.jp

post-33830-050109500 1345120867_thumb.jp

One suggestion I would make is to take a look at the pinned post in the "How do I do that" section on edge finishing. It is amazing how much difference a smooth edge enhances the overall finished item. It is a little extra work that pays huge dividends.

Yours aren't terrible but they can be improved. It helped me out a ton once I did same.

Jake

Edited by SooperJake