Sign in to follow this  
KandB

Full Grain, Top Grain, And That Other Stuff - How Do You Identify What Is What?

Hi everyone -

Excuse the ignorance of my question, but people regularly ask me if the leather I'm using is full grain because they've read somewhere that it's the best leather to use. When I buy the leather, it doesn't say anywhere whether it's full grain or not, so I wondered if anyone has a clear way of discerning.

I work mainly with oil tanned leathers - I use Tandy's Kodiak and Stone Oiled lines mainly, but I often use upholstery sides for the stuff that I want to have less structure.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

bump?

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leather

• Full-grain leather refers to hides that have not been sanded, buffed, or snuffed (as opposed to top-grain or corrected leather) to remove imperfections (or natural marks) on the surface of the hide. The grain remains allowing the fiber strength and durability. The grain also has breathability, resulting in less moisture from prolonged contact. Rather than wearing out, it will develop apatina over time. High quality leather furniture and footwear are often made from full-grain leather. Full-grain leathers are typically available in two finish types: aniline and semi-aniline.

• Top-grain leather (the most common type used in high-end leather products) is the second-highest quality. It has had the "split" layer separated away, making it thinner and more pliable than full-grain. Its surface has been sanded and a finish coat added to the surface which results in a colder, plastic feel with less breathability, and it will not develop a natural patina. It is typically less expensive and has greater resistance to stains than full-grain leather, so long as the finish remains unbroken.

Yup, I've read that, but rather than depending on my ability to look at a piece of leather and ascertain whether or not it has been sanded/buffed or just dyed in a particular way, I was hoping someone might be able to explain it a little better than Wikipedia's more simplistic and generalized description.

Your Tandy oil tan is full grain. Your upholstery leather may be either top or full. Don't worry about the sanding/buffing, does it have a finish coat?

Dan