DavidL

Opinions From 2/3 Oz Veg Tan Users?

My leather that I am currently working on is 2/3 oz kip leather that is hard to the touch and very stiff. Are their any leathers in 2/3 oz that has a stiffness to it but has soft hand or are all 2/3 oz leathers stiff.

I have my eye on springfield leather 2/3 or 3/4 premium tooling leather any one had a chance to try it out?

The 2/3 from Springfield is pretty stiff. It's just Hermann Oak split down. The 2/3 Kip from Waterhouse has a softer temper.

The 2/3 from Springfield is pretty stiff. It's just Hermann Oak split down. The 2/3 Kip from Waterhouse has a softer temper.

Is this from personal experience? i emailed springfield leather and they say it comes from south america.

I may order both hides and decide from there.

If I read their descriptions correctly, they offer both Hermann Oak and imported leathers in 2-3oz. The 2-3 oz HO I have got from them in the past had a soft temper. Buy a small piece of each and make your decision based on that.

If I read their descriptions correctly, they offer both Hermann Oak and imported leathers in 2-3oz. The 2-3 oz HO I have got from them in the past had a soft temper. Buy a small piece of each and make your decision based on that

Thank you. I will do that.

Hey David, if you call the folks at Springfield, they are all really nice, just ask them and they will be kind enough to send you a sample before you purchase.

Is this from personal experience? i emailed springfield leather and they say it comes from south america.

I may order both hides and decide from there.

From Springfield, I meant the Hermann Oak, which I have tried. I have a side of the Waterhouse upstairs.

Herman oak belly strips from Springfield are pliable.

I have the 2/3oz kip from waterhouse; it's not stiff. Not garment, but not stiff

Edited by Matt T

a few samples are coming in but i left out herman oak and water house. I think I will order 2/3 tooling from springfield and request a sample from waterhouse for their kip. Then I can choose easily with all the leathers in front of me.

Side note- how does these leathers sew? using a pricking iron, my 2/3 calf from zackwhite has trouble taking a good impression with the pricking iron, most likely because their is not enough flesh for the leather to make an impact.

Received 2/3, 3/4 tooling leather (not herman oak) sample from springfield leather and will be going for the 2/3 as it has the softest hand.