DavidL

Best Characteristics And Type Of Leather Grades

What would you say is the best type of leather grade? Not full grain, top grain ect. I received from SLC what is suppose to be top grade leather and found out that the tannery that sells it has exceptionally low standards to call this leather top quality. The sample piece looks nice and the full hide has insect bites and tears.

Which Countries should I look for that sell leather that are

-Good quality (U.S? Italy?France?)

-bad quality(brazil, india? mexico- unsure of this)

How the best leather is made?

Are there cows that are raised specifically for leather and others that are scraps from the food industry?

Which leathers can I look for that has no blemishes other than their word?

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your question, I found this thread while searching for the same thing. It seems to me that the quality standards in the leather industry are all over the place. I've ordered two sides of the same grade, from the same place, on the same order even, only to receive two drastically different qualities of leather.

It's time for me to reorder leather and I'm wondering if its worth it to spend the extra (hoping) on the higher grade or just take my chances and ask for the best they have of the lower grade.

I just ordered some B selection Horween from Maverick. I'll let you know my experience after I get it. I am at least lucky because I live very close to a tandy where I can inspect the hide before I buy it.

Id like to hear how the quality is at Mavericks. The only 3 leather suppliers I know that have consistent quality are horween, wicket and craig, and Hermann oak.

I can say already that the people I talked to at Maverick were awesome! Very helpful and courteous. I am very much hoping that the product is as good b/c I would love to deal them again in the future.

Joe I did a search for chromexcel and Maverick and this thread popped up.

How was the quality of the "second" that you received.. Im thinking about placing a order with Maverick

Joe I did a search for chromexcel and Maverick and this thread popped up.

How was the quality of the "second" that you received.. Im thinking about placing a order with Maverick

So the second was a bit rough. However, it was 2.50 a square foot. For that about half the side was in good shape. The other half was had a lot of drawn grain.

I have since ordered some more stuff from them and as long as you ask them what type of horween tannage it is so you now what you are getting I would say it is definitely worth it!

Which specific one did you get? I was going to get the green sueded one but it was bought before I could get a chance to purchase it.

Its suspect that a second quality can be sold at 3.5 a square foot, meaning that the store bought it at 2-2.50 a square foot and is selling it at a dollar profit, which is the exact reason I don't eat at taco bell...

I was also thinking to make a large purchase but I'm hoping that only scratches are there and the majority is even. At 2.5 or 3.75 if 50 percent is usable its still a good deal.

Edited by DavidL

I got this:

http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/horween/owners-specials/tanb/

Also if you want to see another side I got from maverick check this thread out:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=55909&hl=

I can't stress enough how nice the people are at Maverick. They are very patient and will answer all your questions.

Also, they allow returns as long as you don't cut into the leather. You just have to pay shipping back to them.

How much of the lapis side was usable?

I spoke to mavericks and they are really patient and answer emails within the hour. Good customer service.

How much of the lapis side was usable?

I spoke to mavericks and they are really patient and answer emails within the hour. Good customer service.

There are two small holes. Other than that the I would say the whole side is usable.