Rockhewer

Question About A Machine Feature

Hi there, Just to clarify, I am somewhat of a newbie to the art, (& science), of sewing leather with a machine. (All the pieces I have done prior to now have been fastened via lacing and/or rivets)

So I have an old tank of a machine ...(I mean that in a good way).... it's a Nakajima 280L , 1/2 horse clutch motor...... I could ride this thing to work....

Anyway, I saw a picture of a machine on a post from Whizcrafts.... what I can see of the base of this machine, looks almost identical to my machine. I have a very similar 'walking" foot, but there is an attachment on his machine that I don't have..... but that I could see being very helpful. It's the little roller guide type thing coming in from the right, that attaches to the base of the machine.

Is this something I can buy aftermarket or whatever...? and I also noticed this setup has only one outer foot on the opposite side of the roller thing..... is this a specific foot that is used with the roller guide thing?

Where do I get one of those? & what exactly is it called?

Also I have a question about the speed of the machine.

I read a post where you (was it you?) changed the motor to a smaller servo motor?

Also changed the pulley?

Well I really don't want to change the motor, it's not allthat uncontrolable..... but I would change the pulley... does changeing the pulley make a noticeable difference in slowing down the speed at all?

& which pulley do you change? ( to slow the machine a bit )

Thanks

Edited by Rockhewer

It is an old tank of a machine that I still see in trimmer (car upholstery) shops; they are very good machines. It falls into the class of medium weight leather machine. Putting a servo on it would be a good idea and even a servo with speed reduction would be better. Bob Kovar sells a "speed reduction servo" motor that would bolt right up. If you don't want to go that way, get the smallest v-pulley you can get for the shaft on your motor and a new belt. It will slow it down some, but you are still going to have to "ride the wheel" and "slip the clutch".

Check that it is tight and replace anything with slop.

Art

Hi there, Just to clarify, I am somewhat of a newbie to the art, (& science), of sewing leather with a machine. (All the pieces I have done prior to now have been fastened via lacing and/or rivets)

So I have an old tank of a machine ...(I mean that in a good way).... it's a Nakajima 280L , 1/2 horse clutch motor...... I could ride this thing to work....

Anyway, I saw a picture of a machine on a post from Whizcrafts.... what I can see of the base of this machine, looks almost identical to my machine. I have a very similar 'walking" foot, but there is an attachment on his machine that I don't have..... but that I could see being very helpful. It's the little roller guide type thing coming in from the right, that attaches to the base of the machine.

Is this something I can buy aftermarket or whatever...? and I also noticed this setup has only one outer foot on the opposite side of the roller thing..... is this a specific foot that is used with the roller guide thing?

Where do I get one of those? & what exactly is it called?

Also I have a question about the speed of the machine.

I read a post where you (was it you?) changed the motor to a smaller servo motor?

Also changed the pulley?

Well I really don't want to change the motor, it's not allthat uncontrolable..... but I would change the pulley... does changeing the pulley make a noticeable difference in slowing down the speed at all?

& which pulley do you change? ( to slow the machine a bit )

Thanks

Ditto what Art told you. If you cannot change motors, at least buy a 2 inch pulley and a shorter v-belt that matches the difference in length to center the adjuster bolt.

The attachment is from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines. It was originally a flat plate edge guide. I added on a roller edge guide that slides on the single threaded rod in the body of the attachment. I found it necessary to braze mine on the bottom of the screw, to keep it from turning when I hefted down the securing thumb screw. This isn't a problem if you only use the flat plate guide; just the roller.

The left toe foot set is a zipper foot set. I have a dozen different presser feet for this machine. All are commercially available wherever industrial sewing machines are sold, including Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (Bob Kovar). Their phone number is 866-362-7397.

post-11118-052595300 1324398380_thumb.jp post-11118-037017500 1324398411_thumb.jp post-11118-003586800 1324398532_thumb.jp

Rockhewer

All said is true, I wanted a slower more controllable machine (Singer 211-155) so I thought about a cheap pulley....then I opted for a servo motor.....already had one on an Adler....

These servos from "Toledo Bob" are the bomb, they work extraordinary well!! ( ...me beginner too...!!)

And these roller guides on a flat table machines are really helpful...I have a single roller guide on my big Adler and use it on belts!!

Wiz...

I love you international, stout machine....love it...and also the attatements....(guides ) ....if a man can hold a file and able to drill a hole, these guides can be made at home!

Greetings and tnx for all the good info here from all of you!!

Jimbob