cdthayer

Hello From Oklahoma

I'm CD, and I live in Frederick Oklahoma (southwest), where my wife and I own & operate an old fashioned Fabric Center. It's kind of like a fabric "General Store" since we're in rural farm country, and deal with a little bit of everything including leather, but not much. We bought and re-opened an existing store that was still stocked after 30 years of operation. We're a "Mom & Pop" shop, and don't have any employees. We raised our family in Colorado and Oklahoma, and now it's just she & I at home. I did leather hand tooling & hand lacing/sewing (belts, wallets, purses, cases) in the 1980s, but haven't done any for a long time. I still have all of my tools, but I'm involved with sewing machines now, and making repairs to fabric and leather items as part of our mending services in the store. We each ride our own motorcycles, and have been doing so since 2001. My leatherwork now consists of sewing patches on MC gear, & repairing torn leather & vinyl cases, bags, & gear. We're getting into zipper replacement more and more, so I'll watch for tips on putting zippers in leather garments. We've done a few, but I wouldn't say that we're proficient in any way. We want to learn more about it, since most other folks that do alterations in our area won't take on the leather stuff. I do a little bit of custom canvas & Sunbrella (boat Biminis and awnings) fabrication and repair from time to time.

I've worn Justin Roper boots for years, and it's getting harder and harder to find someone to put halfsoles on them. I want to learn a little about boot repair, to see if it's feasible for me to at least repair my own. They're getting so out of style and so inexpensive (the used ones at least), that it may be cheaper to buy boots than fix them. I don't think I'll ever want to set up a boot shop, but it would be rewarding to fix my own, just to say that I did.

Welcome CD! You'll find everyone is pretty helpful, just ask and you will get several answers.

I wouldn't tell anyone you lived in Colorado though. (Just kidding I was born and raised there.)

Casey

CD,

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will find lots of friendly and helpful folks on this site. If you have not already found it, there is a Forum for Fabrication which includes an area for Leather Sewing Machines. There is Forum for Specialty Leather Work with a Sub-Forum for Other Specialties which includes a section for SHoes, Boots, Sandals and Moccasins. Look around, join in on the conversation, have some coffee and donuts, and most importantly have fun, learn and share.

BillB

Howdy from SC and welcome. You'll love it here. I know I sure have learned alot.

Tom

Welcome and Ditto on all the above,

Lot of good ppl here and tons of talented / experienced ppl too... :grouphug5vj5: