Whit30

Please Help Advise Tooling This Flower

Hello,

I don't know if this post should stay in here or go to Patterns and Templates? I am in need of some advice on tooling some flowers called Calla Lilly. I am not finding the tooling patern I need and the best I have came up with is the attached picts. one regular and I did a negative of the image. I know many of you draw your own patterns and I would greatly appreciate some tips you would have to share on how I can make these come out right. as well.

I can see the definate lines of the flower outline that shouldn't be that difficult. This is when I begin to get lost in the picture. How would I handle the shading coming down the flute of the flower outside and then how would I handle the inside of the flowers to make then look realistic? would I use a modeling spoon or possibly pear shaders in the inside pedals of the flowers?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated even if there is a way to alter the image better than a negative option.

Thank you everyone!

post-14079-079343700 1295575845_thumb.jp

post-14079-084242100 1295575859_thumb.jp

Just remember that there is no perfect flower shape as I was told during a recent show. What make your design unique is how you decide to draw or interpret the design.

As for the tooling, I would suggest on the ripples of the flower petals, I would use a 'lifter' to provide the 3d ripple effect. On each side of that ripple, I would use some sort of pearshader or thumbprint to provide some shading down to the center. I would go all crazy with this tool. Think if it as painting with a brush. A painter will start out heavy with the paint and fade out as he progresses to a central point. For the pod, you can use a seeder and cut some stems leading down in the center of the flower. If you want some generally space vertical lines, you can alway use a 'hair' blade to create these instead of the pearshader.

I would highly recommend some scrap leather and some practice on single flowers. I do believe that Chan Geer (I might be wrong) has done some lillies and so has Jeremiah Watt.

Good luck.

Hi Ron,

Sorry I missed this post. Anyway, for myself, trying to incorporate this flower into a traditional western design would be very difficult. I draw all my own patterns, but I am not artist enough to pull this one off. So much of what we do in western floral tooling is traditional and our flowers really do not look very much like the flowers they represent. Peter Main and Tony Laier are good at making real flowers into tooling patterns and could probably come up with a pretty neat pattern. For me, It would take a lot of searching in an effort to see what other artists have done, hoping to see similar flowers they have done in the past.......then I might try to do something similar. This just isn't not a very "toolable" flower for me. It doesn't fit in the traditional mold that other flowers do. In my opinion, this flower should be approached as one would when doing figure carving. Very little cutting and a lot of modeling work. I wouldn't be able to make it look very "Sheridan" or "Western Floral" . I know that's not much help.......

Bobby