Chris of WV

Getting Leather Dye Off Hands?

I was just curious if any of you guys knew a good way to get Fiebing's SPirit Leather dyes off your hands? I was cleaning a bottle off (I had accidentally left it in the car and it somehow spilled/evaporated out/something or other) and got some on my hands... Any ideas or am I just out of luck? helpsmilie.gif

Edit: Btw, I do know that it will eventually wear off my hands, I was just wondering if there was a quicker way? :)

Edited by Chris of WV

Try denatured alcohol...

I was just curious if any of you guys knew a good way to get Fiebing's SPirit Leather dyes off your hands? I was cleaning a bottle off (I had accidentally left it in the car and it somehow spilled/evaporated out/something or other) and got some on my hands... Any ideas or am I just out of luck? helpsmilie.gif

Edit: Btw, I do know that it will eventually wear off my hands, I was just wondering if there was a quicker way? :)

I use nail polish remover. i seems to do a pretty good job and its cheap and easy to find. i use it to clean off my slabs and work bench too when they get dirty or if i get dye on them.

If you have some try Goop or Go Jo hand cleaner. They will take tar off ya hands so they ought to take dye off.

Tandy used to sell a product called "reduran" which did a decent job of removing much of it. They haven't carried it for years, although it shows up occasionally on ebay. Don't know if it's still manufactured, but a simple google search could help you.

Thanks guys! No denatured alcohol around or nail polish remover, but I know there's GoJo out in the shop... :) If it really won't come off, I might try a minute amount of methyl ethyl ketone (since it works on everything else, lol). Thanks again!

IPA will clean up some of the stuff. ive found that over a week of washing your hands, it will come off. you can try some other stuff, but i just wash my hands and let time and washing work.

Acohol is the best thing to use to remove spirit based dyes from your hands. Easily obtainable and very inexpensive! I use it all the time with Fiebings dyes.

I just peel it off.....along with the gloves I finally learned to wear whenever I even consider touching the spirit dye bottles.

I just peel it off.....along with the gloves I finally learned to wear whenever I even consider touching the spirit dye bottles.

I'm with you on the gloves, Mike! I discovered though, if I do happen to get a little dye on the gloves, it doesn't soak in like it did my fingers and it's a little easier to get some on your work.

Alcohol works but fast orange hand cleaner does pretty well also. It has pumice as well as citrus in it; as an added bonus it is non-flamable

Thanks guys! No denatured alcohol around or nail polish remover, but I know there's GoJo out in the shop... :) If it really won't come off, I might try a minute amount of methyl ethyl ketone (since it works on everything else, lol). Thanks again!

For future reference - nail polish remover is just acetone which is very cheap at your local hardware store.

For future reference - nail polish remover is just acetone which is very cheap at your local hardware store.

And for additional reference, methyl ethyl ketone is almost the same thing as acetone so it ought to work as well. They are both ketones the difference is that methyl ethyl ketone (butanone if you like) has one additional carbon atom.

As far as the denatured alcohol, it is basically ethanol with additives to make it poisonous to drink. The ethanol has been "denatured" by the addition of small amounts of other alcohols (methanol etc.). In general this means that you can also use other alcohols for the same purpose typically. Be careful with this information though because a lot of other products are diluted with water which will change how they behave as solvents. If you are trying to use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) make sure you know how dilute it is. When you buy them at the store they come in different mixtures. I usually get 95% which means that 5% is water. Keep this in mind too if you are using it on metals as even 5% can contribute to rusting.

Just a few thoughts!

Thats what i use it works well.

Try denatured alcohol...

Hi Everybody,

I use a LOT of spirit dyes. When I know that I'm going to be doing a lot of dying, I wash my hands, then apply some type of lotion. I found by doing this, the dye doesn't "stick" to the skin as bad. If it doesn't come right off with the alcohol, & Fast Orange, it only takes about a day to wear off. I've tried using gloves,,, but I have a tendency to just transfer the dye from the gloves to the project,,, usually in the wrong place.

I hope this helps,,, it works for me. Ed the"BearMan"

I have found that real soaps (not the detergent crap that you get for cheap) as in the stuff with saponified vegetable oils in it (often purchased by leather workers as glycerin soap) is great for reducing the dye marks on hands to shadows of color. It usually doesn't get 100% off but takes dye down to very reasonable level while doing no harm to your hand or your health.~Oakleaves