mrtreat32

Heating A Makers Stamp.

I ordered a makers stamp from LWleatherworks that is made of brass which works great so far on veg tan and not so much on other unidentified leather that someone gave me. Which I knew was the case ahead of time.

I plan on using a lot of chromexcel in the near future and I was wondering if this type of stamp can be safely heated (maybe over a spirit lamp I have). The maker of the stamp sells a electric heater which I may order down the line but could I heat this type of stamp in a flame without causing any type of damage to the integrity of the stamp. Not sure if the electric heater is better since there is no actual fire touching the stamp or maybe someone who knows more about metals can chime in and its fine to do

BTW. This is my first makers stamp but the shipping and service was very good and fast from LW if anyone is looking into having one made.

thanks

I have one from him and use a heat gun to get mine to the point where is almost to hot to handle then press it using my arbor press, great results on chrome tan pull up. I have seen YouTube video of someone doing the same and using an infrared thermometer to get a consistent temp. Flame heating may result in soot being deposited on the stamp. YMMV heat and press time will affect the results

Jeremy

I have one from him and use a heat gun to get mine to the point where is almost to hot to handle then press it using my arbor press, great results on chrome tan pull up. I have seen YouTube video of someone doing the same and using an infrared thermometer to get a consistent temp. Flame heating may result in soot being deposited on the stamp. YMMV heat and press time will affect the results

Jeremy

thank you.

and I take it you havent had any negative effects on the quality of the stamp?

The spirit lamp burns very clean and leaves very little residue on my creaser so I dont think the soot will be too much of a issue assuming whatever build up can be safely wiped off without softening the design.

I use a heat gun on a magnesium stamp and it works great on cxl.

Welcome. I haven't had any negative affects as of yet, I don't foresee any either, its hot but not that hot, I do imagine that over time the stamp may become slightly annealed though. I imagine it has a life span just like everything else.

As for the spirit lamp, only one way to find out :-)