Sign in to follow this  
pete

Do I want a a bench or desk mounted splitter ?

I do occasional belts and have begun to tinker with other items that require splitting. I don't want to invest in a large expensive 8" $500.00 splitter either but it is way to difficult to get good results on wide leather using an EZ Skiver or safety skiver.

Does anyone have information on the availability of say a bench or desk mounted splitter that could handle 10-12 oz or less?

If there isn't one out there some of you machinists could do real well making one for crafters like me.

Just a blade 4-6" (MAX) wide and a control arm to adjust for consistent splitting. Small and desktop/workbench mountable.

ANY information( or used one) would be appreciated.

thanks

pete

Pete,

Good topic on one of those things a guy trades around/up until he finds the one that works for him. TLF has a little bench one for around $200. I got one thrown in with a tool set several years ago. The blade was not very good. I got one of the "Professional" model ones from TLF on an end-of-the-month inventory reduction deal a few years ago. It was pretty good, but only split down to about 4 oz due to a design issue. Several others on another forum had the same experience, but that may have been fixed in the meantime. The blade on mine held an edge pretty well. They do well for splitting, easy to adjust depth, and the "stop" makes repeated depths easier. Only issue I had was having a strap "ride up" the blade and chop off sometimes. Not something that happened often, just at bad times. You can do lap skives with these easily.

My old tool refurbishing buddy sold me an American 6" handcrank splitter. Great for firmer leathers like skirting, strap, or firm latigo. Softer leather tend to ball up between the feed wheels and the blade. If you keep some tension the piece by pulling, it does alright on soft stuff.

My far and away favorites are Chase pattern splitters. These are simple old relics, and I haven't heard of any made in the last 50 years (and probably a lot longer ago than that). I have an 8" and a 10" CS Osbornes. They have top and bottom feed rollers, and when adjusted properly, the blade can be set just inside these wheels. The leather has no place to go but into the blade, and can't ride up or down. If they get out of level, they are easily adjusted by loosening one side and moving the gearknob a tooth or two either way. They are pretty handy for thinning a strap end to go around a buckle. I can't do a lap skive out to a feathered edge easily with the Chase. Doesn't matter to me, they split better for me, and I've got two skivers anyway. The Chase splitters show up on ebay pretty often, and normally don't go for huge prices. Bob Douglas usually has some too. A couple of us were discussing these. They are so different looking than the old Randalls and Osborne 84 and 86, that it must just scare people off.

neel's saddlery has splitters that handle up to 4" wide material for about $169 & they inclide a strap cutter that also mounts to a bench. I just got one recently but haven't used it yet, but it looks to be of pretty good quality. Other members here have the same one.

Neel's Saddlery & Harness

12712 South ave.,

North Lima, ohio 44452

email: neelre@comcast.net

i have the neels splitter - borderline worthless, well it is better than that - but it is not what I would characterize as "excellent and a must-have" - it slips out of adjustment easily (adjusted only on one side of the blade....)...if you have to have a splitter, make sure you get one that allows the height adjsutment to really "lock" in place.....

the strap cutter on the other hand is very useful and I use it all the time

YMMV

steveb

I've got the neel's splitter. Have been satisfied, but not sure how the more expensive splitters work. Is it really worth paying $300 for the Tandy or osborne 8" splitter?

The Neel's splitter has a 6" blade. Does that mean it can really only do 4" effectively, because 4" or wider is pretty difficult to pull through?

ed

Pete,

TLF has a small economy splitter that works pretty well, it is called a "Craftool High-Tech Leather Splitter." I bought mine about seven years ago for $80.00 and still have it on a bench in my shop. There are a lot better splitters out there but for what your trying to pull down, this one would work great with a small investment. I have to file on the blade about once or twice a month but other than that it works great.

Hope this helps.

neel's saddlery has splitters that handle up to 4" wide material for about $169 & they inclide a strap cutter that also mounts to a bench. I just got one recently but haven't used it yet, but it looks to be of pretty good quality. Other members here have the same one.

Neel's Saddlery & Harness

12712 South ave.,

North Lima, ohio 44452

email: neelre@comcast.net

I'm sorry. it IS 6", not 4" as I said before (, although it would be difficult to pull a 6" piece through, because the blade is 6" wide). Probably 5"or 5-1/2" would be more practical. Again, I have not set it up nor used it yet, so I can't tell how good it really is.

I like the handle, unlike some of the ones being sold on ebay currently that have no handles to hold the blade to the leather.

Edited by whinewine

I have one of those, too, and it works okay for pieces up to 4" wide. The blade does not hold its edge quite as well as the higher quality (read, "more expensive") models, but if you're willing to strop the blade after each use, it works well for occasional use.

Kate

TLF has a small economy splitter that works pretty well, it is called a "Craftool High-Tech Leather Splitter." I bought mine about seven years ago for $80.00 and still have it on a bench in my shop. There are a lot better splitters out there but for what your trying to pull down, this one would work great with a small investment. I have to file on the blade about once or twice a month but other than that it works great.

The 8" twist handle copy of the Osborne that the TLF sells is a poor copy and the bevel on the blade is only about 1/2 of the blade where as if you look at the origanal osborne twist handle the bevel goes clear back to where the blade flattens out for bolting to the frame. The longer the bevel the easier the pull. If this is the type of splitter you are looking for either buy an original Osborne or the copy that Campbell-Bosworth makes are both worth the money. Like I said the TLF model is a poor copy geared to hobby use. Greg

I have the neel's splitter. I have not been sharpening or stropping it. Is this easy to do? I would hate to ruin the blade, but I think that maybe my splitter is not functioning optimally.

where do I look for Neel's? I on;y see a 12" $1800.00 model on their webpage?

pete

Heey folks- thank you all so much for your imput on splitters. I was thinking about the Neel's when" lo and behold" (yes some people still say things like that) I googled splitters and found what I think is a great one for $159.00. It's made by Awl Leather and they are direct or on ebay.(I don't trust e-bay)

Check it out for those of you who want a small 6" desk mount adjustable splitter that does thick to thin and is affordable.

I'll report on mine when I get it.

Thanks again to al. What a great place. Here's the page if you want to cut and paste it for

awlleatherworks.com

pea-aire'

here's a picture of the item itself. JUST WHAT I WOULD HAVE INVENTED!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Quality-leather-splitt...1QQcmdZViewItem

I was lucky enough to find one of the old original Landis splitters brand new in the box at the Boot and Saddle Maker's Round Up about 8 years ago. It is the best bench splitter I've ever used. They are not cheap, but they are accurate and do a fine job. It is only a six inch capacity and sometimes I wish for more, but it handles most all my knife sheath size chores. The link below shows a source and picture.

http://www.pilgrimshoemachine.com/leather_...machines_d.html

Paul

I was looking in The Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal and came across an add for Campbell Bosworth Keystone Splitter.

Wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it?

Page 40 in the Nov/Dec issue.

Thanks

The Cambell-Bosworth is the real thing in that style of splitter.

The Cambell-Bosworth is the real thing in that style of splitter.

Hi Bruce, Thanks for your time... Can you elaborate on that... You mentioned this style of splitter... Do you have an opinion on this style of splitter?

I am only trying to narrow down a selection.

Thanks again

Steve

The handled splitter like the Keystone or Osborne 84 is the most single versatile splitter. I am not sure that I have seen a new Osborne 84 listed anywhere for a while. You can easily set the depth, you can push on the handle as you pull the strap to do lap skives, and it has a good width. The only issue is that sometimes a strap will ride up the bevel of the blade and chop off. Not very often, just at a bad time. The lower end models or oldies can have a bent frame and not have the roller level with the blade. Some can be shimmed easily, others not.

That said, I like the old Chase pattern splitters. They haven't been made for a long time. Osbornes(s), Horn, Chase, and others made variations of them. They have two rollers top and bottom. If you adjust the blade so the edge sits right at the rollers, the leather has no place to go but straight into it. I have an 8" and 10" now. I can set them at different depths and do repeatable two level splitting. If they get out of level, you can raise one side or the other a tooth at time easily to relevel them. They really don't seem to sell for much on ebay relative to other splitters. Bob Douglas and I talked about that a while back. They just must be so different from what most people see as splitters today that they scare people off. The disadvantage of the Chase pattern splitters is that you can't easily do lap skives without a ramped jig. No issue for me, I have had Landis handcrank skiver to crank out lap skives and the dges of groundseat buildups for a while. Another piece of really handy equipment for me.

I am attaching a pic from my shop before I got the 10" splitter. They now sit side by side, and the handcrank splitter to the right in the picture is being sold. Good splitter, I just don't use it as much anymore. The handcrank skiver is the gray handcrank tool in the foreground to the left of the rein rounder. The 8" Chase pattern splitter is behind that on the left side of the bench. I like the Chase pattern splitters, but they are not for everybody.

IMG_0067__Small_.jpg

post-29-1196704786_thumb.jpg

The older tools are facinating, the form and function looks like a lot of thought went into it, the design of the tools have an artisans touch, not so much these days, seems like they just bang them out as cheap and fast as they can.

The older tools are facinating, the form and function looks like a lot of thought went into it, the design of the tools have an artisans touch, not so much these days, seems like they just bang them out as cheap and fast as they can.

Yes I agree Jordan, Just want to make sure before putting down 500+ dollars for a splitter (Campbell Bosworth Keystone Splitter) I want to make sure it is going to do what it is advertised to do and do it well.

Thanks for the answer Bruce

Steve

Yes I agree Jordan, Just want to make sure before putting down 500+ dollars for a splitter (Campbell Bosworth Keystone Splitter) I want to make sure it is going to do what it is advertised to do and do it well.

Thanks for the answer Bruce

Steve

I am considering to get a new Osborne 84 or Campbell & Rondall Keystone, so I Google for comparison and found this thread. It has been few years and I am wondering have you got that Campbell Keystone? Would you please kindly share how is it work?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by snoorz