LilyLionLabyrinth

Hello From A Massachusetts-Dwelling Texan!

Hello, all!

I am a 20-something year old, who grew up in Fort Worth, Texas. (I should not be surprised by how many Texans I have seen on this forum, but I still am!). Less than two years ago, I moved to the Boston area of Massachusetts. It's so strange to place my orders from Tandy Leather Factory and see my home city on some of the product labels!

I have been into art for as long as I can remember. I took it all through high school, then wound up shaking things up a bit and went to TCU for my degree in religious studies and psychology (this is relevant, really). After that, I did a couple years of art school, before I dropped out and moved.

I got into leatherworking a couple of years ago because I was really into bookbinding. My now-roommate and partner-in-art-crime originally wanted me to make a journal, but that project turned into a refillable journal cover made from leather. A material I always wanted to work with, but was too intimidated by.

But I gave it a shot, and I was hooked! I did a sporadic project here and there. It hasn't been until the past few months I have really thrown myself into it, heart and soul.

My current focus is on making masquerade masks, but I also like making the aforementioned journal covers, jewelry, decorative objects such as bowls, and small handbags and pouches. My subject matter tends to draw a lot from mythology (see, the relevance I mentioned!), and I am very, very interested in marrying my love of drawing with the leatherwork. So my stuff tends to be kind of graphic.

I have been lurking here a little bit, and am really excited by the community! I look forward to getting to know you guys. :)

Welcome to Boston Hub of the universe.

Boston is fabulous....In Summer! Winter..not so much. I spent the pas few winters in Salem...This past year I had enough. Play some of the Irish bars in Boston, the North Shore and The Vineyard. Hope to get back this summer. Good luck with your projects!

Cya!

Bob

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Welcome. I live in Boston myself. Contrary to popular belief, not all leather workers are from Texas or the middle of the middle west. :) There is a great community here. I hope you find helpful.

Thank you for the warm welcomes, everyone!

BDAZ, the summers here are amazing, especially since I am used to 100+ degree weather! I have had the chance to visit Salem a couple of times, once in the summer, and once in a snowstorm. I really love the winters here, and having actual seasons. But I can easily see how it could be way too much. I am not a big bar fan, but there are definitely some Irish bars in the area I want to see! The other places you listed, as well.

Glendon, I didn't realize it was a popular belief all leather workers are from Texas and the midwest. That's why I was surprised by how many Texans I saw when perusing older threads. Then it made sense to me, after a little thought (okay, made more sense after my partner-in-art-crime pointed it out). The community here so far seems great! It's a nice feeling to have, and I wish I had looked for a forum like this one sooner.

Why I left Salem!! That's my apartment and my no parking signs on the pile of snow I shoveled!

Check out Mr. Dooley's Irish Pub on a Sunday.

Cya!

Bob

post-47325-0-02264400-1400532536_thumb.j

Edited by BDAZ

Oh jeez! Yeah, it was like that outside our apartment, too. Some of the snow banks were taller than me, even! I don't drive anymore and don't have a car, so I think that helps me a lot for my tolerance.

And I will keep that pub in mind, thank you! :)