BearMan

A couple more Eyeglass cases, & a new Maul design

Hi Everybody,

I've been extreamly busy here lately, but here are a few things I've been making lately. There is a Craft show coming up at the Lions Club, & I was asked to participate. So I thought I'd make a few Eyeglass cases, since they deal with eyeglasses, as part of thier mission. Here are a couple more, & hopefully the last of the bunch for the show. They are made fron 5oz leather, lined with brushed pigskin. All of the colors are from spirit dyes.

As for the new Maul design,,, I'm constantly striving to improve everything I make, & it's the same with my mauls. With some Very Thoughtful & Insightful suggestions from Bob & Ben, here's what I've come up with. It's 18oz, with a Redwood Burl Handle. A couple of the main differences are,,, that the balance is about 10-15% more toward the head, which gives it more impact. Visually, there's not much difference from my old "Smooth" design, except now, there are no un-finished edges exposed. What do you think?? Thanks for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Eyeglass case floral lots of color.jpg

Eyeglass case scroll.jpg

Redwood Burl 18oz.jpg

Redwood Burl 18oz 2.jpg

Redwood Burl 18oz 3.jpg

Redwood Burl 18oz 4.jpg

Redwood Burl 18oz 5.jpg

post-7175-125546846845_thumb.jpg

post-7175-125546848421_thumb.jpg

post-7175-125546851318_thumb.jpg

post-7175-12554685268_thumb.jpg

post-7175-125546854901_thumb.jpg

post-7175-125546857706_thumb.jpg

post-7175-125546861665_thumb.jpg

Very nice Ed. I really like the mauls you make.

Cool stuff Ed. I love what you are doing with the mauls! You need to come up with a mallet style one maybe 1.25 pounds.  Love the burl wood handles.  Super fine! :notworthy:

Very nice Maul.

Thanks Dustin, Storm , & King's X, for all the nice compliments. I've been making mauls for about 10 years now, & have gone through a few design changes, during that time. Each change for the better, I hope. I believe this design, will be hard to improve on. The way that a maul "feels" while using is as important to me, as the durability of the stricking surface I use. In comparisson, this one feels like a "Rolls Royce" , compared, to all the others. Of course there will have to be some minor changes, to accomodate, the different weights. I may limit this "Elite" design to a weight range from 15oz to 19oz, which would cover just about everybody's tooling needs. Thanks Again for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Bearman

those mauls are just awesome would love to have a good maul for my tooling but right now things are slow here so money is tight but i will keep ya in mind when im ready to buy one

Cowboy316

Ed, I love the glasses cases you've been making. How did you get the brown color around the motif?

That new maul is over the top! I love the redwood burl!!! That is some of the most unique looking wood I have ever seen.

Hi Hilly,,,, The brown is done using Light Brown Spirit dye, reduced to about 50/50, then applied using the dry brush method. Thanks for everything!!

Edited by BearMan

I followed your BearMan link, but couldn't find the mauls pictured above, or a way to purchase the mauls you sell.

Perhaps someone will direct me to the BearMan store, I would like to see the price of these marvelous mauls and perhaps purchase one or two.

Thanks

GrampaJoel

I love the maul design!! Very nive indeed!!!

If you don't mind me asking what kind of material u use for the striking face???

Any sources out there??

I would love to build one for myself!!!

Thanks so much!!

James

Hi Everybody,

I've been extreamly busy here lately, but here are a few things I've been making lately. There is a Craft show coming up at the Lions Club, & I was asked to participate. So I thought I'd make a few Eyeglass cases, since they deal with eyeglasses, as part of thier mission. Here are a couple more, & hopefully the last of the bunch for the show. They are made fron 5oz leather, lined with brushed pigskin. All of the colors are from spirit dyes.

As for the new Maul design,,, I'm constantly striving to improve everything I make, & it's the same with my mauls. With some Very Thoughtful & Insightful suggestions from Bob & Ben, here's what I've come up with. It's 18oz, with a Redwood Burl Handle. A couple of the main differences are,,, that the balance is about 10-15% more toward the head, which gives it more impact. Visually, there's not much difference from my old "Smooth" design, except now, there are no un-finished edges exposed. What do you think?? Thanks for looking,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Hi James, The material I use is something that took me years to track down. I've tested probably 25-30 different types of polymers,,, most were too soft,,, some were too hard,,, some were just about right except the flaked off easily,,, some dented,,, some defformed... & so on. As far as I can tell,,, this polymer has the best charcteristics, of anything available right now. It's quite a bit more expensive than what I believe the other makers are using,,,, But it's well worth it for a striking surface that doesn't shed, doesn't dent with normal heavy use,,, anything will dent with enough force, doesn't ring,& doesn't bounce. I have a cpl mauls that are over 8 years old now, that about the only way you can tell that they aren't new,,, is because of a kinda dirty grey color, I think is the residue left from the stamps. I know this doesn't help you,,, but you can make something that will work by cutting discs out of an old plastic cutting board. It won't be the best,,, but it will work,,, plus you'll have the pride of making it yourself. Ed

I love the maul design!! Very nive indeed!!!

If you don't mind me asking what kind of material u use for the striking face???

Any sources out there??

I would love to build one for myself!!!

Thanks so much!!

James

Hi Everybody,

Hi,

Do you have a website where I can purchase one of your mauls?

Thanks, they are beautiful.

Hi Everybody,

Ed,

I just looked at your flickr page and I have to say that those are some of the most beautiful tools I have ever seen. I deal with high end cues and exotic wood all the time and your work just sings to me.

Amazing mauls, great great work, really shows that you love doing them.

One or more is on the wish list.

John

Bearman, I am new at tooling the leather and am trying to figure out what method you use when you outlined the carving on your eyeglasses cases. Is your leather wet? When I use the dyes, I get a very definite color change. Your's seems to have a soft transition from one color to the other.

Thanks,

Dawn

Hi Dawn, What that is ,,, is the dry brush method. Basically, as the brush dries out, you get further away from the design. It just takes some practice, & patients. I only use spirit dye. I don't know how well any other dyes would work using that method. Thanks for asking,, Here's a my latest project,,, Lots of dry brushing here!! Ed

Bearman, I am new at tooling the leather and am trying to figure out what method you use when you outlined the carving on your eyeglasses cases. Is your leather wet? When I use the dyes, I get a very definite color change. Your's seems to have a soft transition from one color to the other.

Thanks,

Dawn

round 2 it.jpg

post-7175-125709704765_thumb.jpg

Hey Ed great looking work as allways. Im still loving my mauls you made me and they are performing very well. I havnt touched my mallet since I got the mauls lol.

One question, on the eyeglass cases what weight leather do you like to use? Im playing with your pattern you posted and was gonna make one for a guy at work but wasnt to sure how thick the leather should be.

Very impressive Round-2-It, Bearman:specool: I've seen several, This one is the most elaborate!!

Hi Max, & Jana,

I usually use a 5oz leather for the eyeglass cases, & then line them with some 2oz pigskin. I'm glad your mauls are working out so good for you,,,

Jana, Thanks for the very nice words!! I needed something to practice on,,, & had though about making one for a long time... I'll probably wind up using it on the top of a box. Thanks again,,, Ed the"BearMan"

Thanks for the info.

I love your mauls I don't think I've seen any better. I have a question. Where do you get your handle and end pcs?. I'm not asking about the leather washers but the interior and the ends. I have a maul that I've made but I would like to have a handle I don't have to worry about. Thanks

Hi Everybody,

Fantastic! I have one of your 20oz. mauls. It's the best thing i've ever used. Aren't you using the brown material anymore? I love mine, It's quiet and solid.

Hi Pete,

This is actually a thread that started about 1 1/2 years ago. I just noticed that it popped up again. No need to worry,, I'm still using the brown head material, but I'm also using the same material in Black, & a lighter "Russet" color brown. You're right, the "Brown" material, is quieter, & it grips the tools a lot better,,, the Black, & lighter Brown are the same.

My Son is now making the white head mauls, which is a different material,,but the type he uses, is the very best of that type available. He uses the same white head material I used to use, which doesn't flake, shed or dent, like most others out there.

Thanks,,, Ed the"BearMan"