Wizcrafts

Union Lockstitch Machine For Sale Or Trade

I have a Union Lockstitch Machine that I have rebuilt. It operates on the needle and awl principle, where the awl comes down and stabs a hole, then the needle comes up through the hole, then, as the pressor foot lifts, moves the work back, as the thread gets looped around a barb in the needle. When the needle goes down the thread is picked off the barb and drawn around the bobbin.

The machine sews from 1/8" up to 3/4" of anything that the awl can pierce. It can sew leather onto plywood lined cases. The motor is on top of the table and has a belt going to a huge flywheel on the back of the machine. When you push down on the drive pedal the mechanism slowly forces the flywheel into a clutch on the rear shaft. It is possible to feather the clutch for very slow stitching, or press all the way down for Gatling Gun like speed (800 spm). The stitch length can be varied from 12 /inch, to a about 3 /inch (requires retiming the pickup point). Parts and accessories are still made and are available from Campbell Bosworth, in Texas.

The bobbins are 2.5" in diameter x 1/2"+ deep and hold about 300 feet of heavy thread. The machine can sew with bonded nylon or polyester, or multi-cord linen thread. I have needles from size 1 (160) to size 3 (200), and awls from 1.5 to 3.5. This allows the machine to sew with thread sizes 138 through 346, or 3 to 6 cord linen.

I have two pressor feet and three throat plates (2 customized). It will sell with a threading rod, manual, 7 bobbins, dozens of needles and awls, three square drive wrenches and a swing-away roller edge guide with two different height rollers. I will throw in all of my linen thread and any remaining Lax Wax.

The machine is mounted onto a 3" thick wooden table, that is bolted onto a heavy steel stand and weighs around 500 pounds assembled. It has a 1/2 horsepower continuous run motor on the right rear of the table top, and a bobbin winding attachment, driven by one of the two motor belts. There is a wax pot for the bobbin winder and another on top of the machine.

Due to the weight and my inability to lift much weight anymore, the buyer will have to come to my place, in Flint Michigan (48506), and remove it themselves (with their own helper). I can unbolt the head from the table and remove the flywheel assembly, to make it easier to take out.

I will sell the machine and accessories for $2500 cash, or trade for a working, good condition, major brand cylinder arm walking foot stitcher of equal value, with a 12 inch or longer arm. It must sew up to about 3/4 inch.

Contact me via the Forum messaging system, or phone 810-422-5301 (leave a message if I am out).

post-11118-068649800 1293210339_thumb.jp post-11118-036979500 1293209884_thumb.jp post-11118-028096100 1293210133_thumb.jp post-11118-024589800 1293210499_thumb.jp

Edited by Wizcrafts

In the 9 months since I posted this ad I have invested another $200 in replacement parts, to rebuild the machine to factory tolerances. Besides sewing leather and plywood, this machine even sews the crap being sold by Weaver as imitation leather, for reins and leads. A 441 clone set up to perfectly sew 1/2 inch veg-tan leather could not sew the bobbin thread into this material, but my Union Lockstitch did.

The price, as of September 15, 2011, is now $2700, cash and carry, from Flint, Michigan. The buyer must pick it up and load it.

Since I originally posted this machine for sale I have modified the existing parts to get it to sew 7/8 inch. Any further lift will require a custom made presser foot and looper arm. I have created a web page with the description of this Union Lockstitch machine for sale with lots of photos.

I have been asked what it will take to get it to sew one inch. It will require having a custom presser foot and matching thread looper machined. I intend to get a quote from a nearby machine shop for having these parts made. If the modifications are successful, the cost of the new parts will be added to the selling price. It will be the only one like it around!

If anybody is interested in buying the machine now, before I invest in more parts, call me at 810-422-5301, or contact me via the forum PM system.

The machine is still offered as cash and carry from Flint, Michigan, for $2700, as it currently is (with 7/8" lift). Shipping from Toledo (Ohio) Industrial Sewing Machines may be arranged for distant buyers. I don't know what that will cost. They are about 112 miles from me.

If any of you are going to the Sheridan Wyoming leather show this month, I could get the Union Lockstitch to the show with a friend who will carry it for $200. I'd need to know by Tuesday, May 8, to have time to break it down and get it to him.

Otherwise, the deal is cash and carry from Flint, Michigan, or you pay someone to have it picked up and trucked to you.

Call me at eight one oh - four two two - five three oh one

I am lowering my price for my Union Lockstitch machine to $2500, cash and carry, from Flint, Michigan, 48506. The full description can be found in my previous posts in this topic and on my leather works website.

This is a needle and awl harness stitcher.

SOLD

Please delete this topic.