kikilamour

133K8 Is Being A Pain In The Derriere. Help

I have a show coming up in less than two weeks and if I cant get everything ready I forfeit the rather hefty fees I paid. My 133k8 which I purchased a week ago is a great powerful machine and I actually mastered her yesterday. However she marked the leather so I decided to take out the feed dogs and file them down. The problem was screw number two which held the feed dogs into the machine is refusing to go in all the way and is going in at an angle towards the end. After about 3 of us had tried to get her in properly I put everything back thinking I would be fine and tried stitching on practice leather with and without turning the clutch motor on by just turning the handwheel towards me. Disaster. Snapped thread, handwheel suddenly stiffening etc. I take the plate off and turning the handwheel and it moves freely again. To make matters worse my uncle thinking I had tension problems turned the knobs on both tension disks and I have no idea what the dealer had set it too

Any ideas on how I can get le screw back in and deal with the tension???

post-45525-0-88465900-1399221620_thumb.j

Are you sure thats the right screw it looks a lot bigger than the other one. If it is the right screw try swaping holes and check to make sure the threads haven't been messed up on the one that doesn't want to go in.

To set the tension i would back them off and tighten them a little at a time sewing on some scrap. The tension isn't hard to set.

Edited by dirtclod

Nah someone had previously forced the screw in however when I took the feed dogs out putting the screw back in was a nightmare. It is supposed to be entirely in the hole like its twin. I will go to the DIY store and see if something can be done about the hole and screw

I eventually sorted the tension too.

However I have chosen to crank her by hand instead as she is majorly fast with the motor on and leather is rather pricey. I am going to wait till I slow her down in the next few weeks

Edited by kikilamour

Bear in mind that many sewing machine screws are non-standard threads. Singer is notorious for using their own proprietary thread system on all their screws, so you can't just get them through ordinary channels. Not sure about other manufacturers, but something to keep in mind. I have custom made replacement screws from time to time, but if somebody has forced a wrong screw into a threaded hole and ruined the original threads, then all bets are off !!!

try this:

Put both screws in the holes and turn them by hand until both safely catch the first windings of the thread and then stop.

Then evenly turn them in 1 turn steps. Left screw 1 turn - right screw 1 turn - left screw 1 turn - right screw 1 turn and so on.

This should probably work. Sounds stupid but try it before you start drilling grinding and cutting on parts of your machine.

Have tried all that and more. However it is the actual hole and not the screw that is the problem.

if it is the screw head that does not go into the hole of the feed dog grind down the head a little bit.

If the hole of the feed dog does not fit over the thread in the... - what is the word for where the feed dog sits on? - drill it slightly larger of if you have a Dremel tool try a Dremel. I think that is the only solution atm.

I have a set of Singer taps, I don't know if they're still available as I've had them for years. The issue for most people is being able to remove the feed dog carrier to get the tap lined up. I have in the past taken a new feed dog screw and actually used it for a tap. The carrier is softer than a screw, so if you can get it started straight, you can force it past the bad threads. The best way I've found without removing the carrier is to take an insert bit that fits tightly, then use a box end 1/4" wrench to turn it while pushing down with a finger. Good luck.

Regards, Eric

I have a set of Singer taps, I don't know if they're still available as I've had them for years. The issue for most people is being able to remove the feed dog carrier to get the tap lined up. I have in the past taken a new feed dog screw and actually used it for a tap. The carrier is softer than a screw, so if you can get it started straight, you can force it past the bad threads. The best way I've found without removing the carrier is to take an insert bit that fits tightly, then use a box end 1/4" wrench to turn it while pushing down with a finger. Good luck.

Regards, Eric

Interesting I also found this resource. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/screw_threads/

Going to give them an email

The 133 class is just the cylinder bed version of the 132. Unfortunately I cannot check the feed dog screws as I only have a 133k13 plonker here now but Bob Kovar at Toledo will have the right screws.

I know this is a bit late, however just for general info, its not unusual for K6 and K8 feed dog screws to be of different lengths, so putting the longer one in the shorter hole means it will bottom out and remain proud at the top.

I know this is a bit late, however just for general info, its not unusual for K6 and K8 feed dog screws to be of different lengths, so putting the longer one in the shorter hole means it will bottom out and remain proud at the top.

I did not know that. These two screws are both the same length. I will check it out with the place where I bought it and see if they have any spare screws