olliesrevenge

Holster thumbreak snap

Hello,

I'm brand new at leather working and at holster making. My next holster will be a thumb break design for retention. Many commercially available holsters use a small very thin metal plate behind the female side of the snap to increase the amount of leverage your thumb can exert on the snap when opening it.

Has anyone ever seen a heavy duty "holster" type snap sold that comes with the thin metal backer plate? Or is this small metal piece likely a proprietary item manufactured by individual makers?

I have checked alot of sites (incl' Ohio Travel Bag) without luck.

Thanks for any help!

Holster4P.JPG

post-13064-126342101821_thumb.jpg

Hello,

I'm brand new at leather working and at holster making. My next holster will be a thumb break design for retention. Many commercially available holsters use a small very thin metal plate behind the female side of the snap to increase the amount of leverage your thumb can exert on the snap when opening it.

Has anyone ever seen a heavy duty "holster" type snap sold that comes with the thin metal backer plate? Or is this small metal piece likely a proprietary item manufactured by individual makers?

I have checked alot of sites (incl' Ohio Travel Bag) without luck.

Thanks for any help!

Go to www.highdesertleather.com in the do it yourself tab. They have the metal plate you are looking for.

I have always used 24-gauge sheet metal, cut to shape, then sewn between two layers of leather. I use a drill press to make the hole for snap attachment. This process adds a little time to production.

Now that I see the pre-fabricated steel tabs at 50 cents apiece, I may just re-think this process!

Or you can make the tab out of Kydex

Or you can make the tab out of Kydex

I just noticed this question and thought I would give my .02 cents on what I use. I use the metal banding straps from freight to secure goods to pallets. This stuff is free and can be had in multiple widths and thicknesses. I found that it is quite springy but one can still file and drill it without much hassles. The finish on the strapping is also relatively tough which seems to help keep any rust stains ay bay. This stuff can be found behind most any store/ business that recieves freight for nothing more than asking for it.

Petros