Sign in to follow this  
antipaladin

Burnished holster

I've made a few holsters from Russet and Harness leather but over the weekend I tried using some Sedgwicks' bridle and had an unexpected pleasant surprise. After I cased the holster and was burnishing the mouth with a bone folder, I ran it over the holster body and it turned glass smooth with a nice "suntanned" appearance. The consistency of the leather also hardened a bit such that it allowed an incredible amount of detailed boning. I can only imagine it's the higher fat and wax content of the bridle leather that comes to the surface when it's moistened.

I've made a few holsters from Russet and Harness leather but over the weekend I tried using some Sedgwicks' bridle and had an unexpected pleasant surprise. After I cased the holster and was burnishing the mouth with a bone folder, I ran it over the holster body and it turned glass smooth with a nice "suntanned" appearance. The consistency of the leather also hardened a bit such that it allowed an incredible amount of detailed boning. I can only imagine it's the higher fat and wax content of the bridle leather that comes to the surface when it's moistened.

Pictures, we need pictures!

Dan

Pictures, we need pictures!

Dan

Have to agree with Dan. Gotta have some photos...

The first is the original "London Tan" color of the bridle leather.

98014287ml3.th.jpg

The second is the burnished holster body (with a lot of sewing still to do)

november2008021wr8.jpg

Edited by antipaladin