Mikel

What OZ leahter for this wallet and Best tool question

So I decided I want to try and make a wallet. something far more complicated than anything I have tried thus far. I want a nice thick wallet. Dont ask my why but I like having my wallet feel like a tumor in my butt cheek. Gives me the security of always knowing its there.

My 2 questions are A, What is the thickest leather you would go with that wont be TOO ridiculous? Again, I want this to be a nice, thick, fat wallet but i also need to be able to fold it shut. What would you guys suggest? Whatever I decide to go with im probably going to get a hide from Tandy since they are local to me here in chicago.

My second question is what tool is the easiest to make those nice curved corners and the curves on the card slots? im only a few months into my new hobby but the ONLY tool I have seen for making round cuts is the "round" knives.

Is this the best tool for making the round edges on the corners and card slots?

any other insight that you can think of would be great as well. this design on the wallet looks simple but im still pretty nervous. should be a fun project for someone that has only made a few small things. Thanks in advance!

I like using my round knife the most but sometimes I will use my utility knife as well. For the corners your talking about either will work fine.

Personally I like about 5oz for wallets and about 2oz for the interior portions. Ofcourse that is just what I have used and Ive only done a few wallets but they turned out ok.

Once you get all your stuff in there they will be plenty big enough. Also if you want a thicker wallet do a trifold.

Kevin has some great tutorials on wallet making. I recommend checking them out.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=9940

Edited by MADMAX22

You can get real creative and use the thickest you can get, when you make the outside cover, make sure it is way too thick, then, when you center it skive some of the inner outside cover where it will fold. this will actually make ther wallet fold easier and not seam so thick! but it will be. also you will always be happy if a truck,bus,bullet is in your line of direction, this wallet will save your life!!! guaranteed